Mumbai (PTI): A special court on Tuesday extended the police custody of five accused, arrested in connection with the firing at Bollywood filmmaker Rohit Shetty's residence here, till February 23. 

Their further remand was needed for a joint interrogation with those arrested later, police told the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court.

So far, 12 persons have been arrested in the case, including the seven nabbed from Haryana and Uttar Pradesh on Sunday. The latter have been remanded in police custody till February 25. 

Aditya Gayaki (19), Siddharth Yenpure (20), Samarth Pomaji (18) Swapnil Sakat (23) and Asaram Fasale were produced before special judge Mahesh Jadhav at the end of their previous remand.

Their custody was needed for a joint interrogation and for tracing the money trail as well as the vehicle used in the crime, the police told the court.

Defence lawyer advocate Ajinkya Mirgal opposed the plea, saying that the probe agency had had enough time to question them. 

Physical custody of the accused was not required for finding out the money trail as the police had already seized their mobile phones, he added.

The court, after hearing the arguments, extended the custody of the five accused till February 23. 

At least five rounds were fired at the first floor of Shetty's nine-storey building in Juhu area at 12.45 am on February 1. A bullet struck the glass of a gym inside the building.

Alleged shooter Deepak Sharma was among those arrested on Sunday. According to the police, the firing was carried out at the instructions of Shubham Lonkar, a member of the Lawrence Bishnoi gang, with the intention of causing harm to the filmmaker and instill fear. Lonkar is among the wanted accused in the case.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru (PTI): Fifteen people, including three foreign nationals, have been arrested for allegedly peddling banned narcotic substances across Bengaluru, police said on Tuesday.

The arrests were made in joint operations carried out in different police station limits following specific inputs about drug trafficking activities.

“The CCB Narcotics Control Wing and police stations under various limits of Bengaluru City have arrested a total of 15 persons, including three foreign nationals and 12 persons from other states, for selling banned narcotic substances such as hydroponic ganja, MDMA, cocaine, LSD pills, LSD strips, hashish oil and ganja,” the press release issued by the Office of the Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, stated.

Cases were registered under the NDPS Act based on credible information received on different dates that banned narcotic substances were being sold within the limits of the CCB Narcotics Control Wing and the police stations of Amruthahalli, Hebbagodi, JB Nagar, Sheshadripuram, Mahalakshmi Layout and Govindapura.

“Acting on the information, raids were conducted at the identified locations and a total of 15 people, including three foreign nationals and 12 persons from other states, were apprehended on different dates,” the release said.

According to police, during interrogation, the accused admitted that they were involved in drug peddling for quick money.

“During interrogation, the accused confessed that with the intention of making quick money, they procured banned narcotic substances such as hydroponic ganja, ganja, MDMA, cocaine, LSD pills, LSD strips and hashish oil from unidentified foreign and out-of-state persons and were selling them to the public, college students and IT/BT employees,” it said.

Police said a large quantity of drugs and other materials were seized from the accused.

“The seized items include 9 kg 460 grams of hydroponic ganja, 5 kg 677 grams of MDMA, 34 kg of ganja, 131 grams of cocaine, 462 ml of hashish oil, 29 LSD pills, 27 grams of LSD strips, one car, one two-wheeler and four mobile phones. The total value of the seized property is Rs 10.59 crore (market value Rs 21.50 crore),” the release stated.

In addition, Rs 24,500 in cash was also seized from the accused.

Efforts are underway to trace the foreign and other suppliers who provided the banned narcotic substances to the arrested persons, they said.

Investigation in the case is in progress.