Mumbai: Vikrant Massey’s latest film, The Sabarmati Report, continues to face significant challenges at the box office, despite being declared tax-free in multiple states. The film, based on the politically charged Godhra riots, has failed to attract a large audience.
Directed by Dheeraj Saran and written by Avinash Singh Tomar and Arjun Bhandegavkar, The Sabarmati Report was released in cinemas on November 15. However, its box office collections have fallen far short of expectations. According to early trends on Sacnilk, as reported by The Indian Express. the Vikrant Massey starrer collected Rs 1.25 crore on its fifth day, taking its total five-day collection to Rs 8.75 crore. The film’s daily collections have been inconsistent, with Rs 1.25 crore on day one (Friday), Rs 2.1 crore on day two (Saturday), Rs 3 crore on day three (Sunday), and Rs 1.15 (Monday) crore on day four.
Despite its politically charged narrative and widespread praise from top political figures, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Home Minister Amit Shah, and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Adityanath, the film has failed to make a significant impact. Recently, Vikrant Massey shared a picture with UP CM Adityanath on social media, expressing gratitude for the appreciation received during their meeting. “Today got an opportunity to meet Hon’ble Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. Their appreciation has inspired the entire team of #TheSabarmatiReport. Heartfelt thanks for this respect and affection,” Massey wrote in his post.
In a bid to boost the film's performance, Haryana Chief Minister Nayab Saini recently declared The Sabarmati Report tax-free in the state. Other BJP-ruled states like Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh had already granted the film tax-free status, but these efforts have yet to translate into a substantial rise in box office numbers.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Guwahati, Apr 4 (PTI): The Assam cabinet has decided to lift all cases pending against people from the Koch Rajbongshi community in the Foreigners' Tribunals, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Friday.
They will also no longer carry the tag of 'D' or doubtful voters, he said.
''There are 28,000 cases pending in different Foreigners' Tribunals in the state against people of the community. The cabinet has taken a historic decision of lifting the cases with immediate effect,'' Sarma said at a press conference here after the cabinet meeting.
The government believes that the Koch Rajbongshis are an indigenous community of the state and they are an inextricable part of ''our social and cultural fabric'', he asserted.
The people of this community are poor and have suffered a lot over the years, he said.
''They will no longer carry the tag of foreigners or ‘D’ voters,'' the CM said.
Foreigners Tribunals are quasi-judicial bodies, particularly in Assam, established to determine if a person residing in India is a "foreigner" as defined by the Foreigners Act of 1946, based on the Foreigners (Tribunals) Order of 1964.
These tribunals are designed to address matters related to citizenship and the presence of “foreigners” in India, specifically focusing on cases where someone is suspected of being an illegal immigrant.
There are 100 Foreigners’ Tribunals across Assam.
The Koch Rajbongshis have a sizeable presence in Assam, West Bengal, Meghalaya, and parts of Bangladesh, Nepal, and Bhutan, and they demand Scheduled Tribe status.