Mangaluru: Pilgrims who traveled for Hajj through the Hajj Committee have alleged that they are experiencing major hardships, and that despite their appeals to authorities and representatives, they are receiving inadequate responses.

Earlier the pilgrims complained about proper accommodation being not arranged in Makkah and now, similar issues have arisen in Mina, with an even more dire situation. The Pilgrims claimed that they were being treated as if they had been given the opportunity to perform Hajj through the free quota of the government.

Mumtaz, a resident of Moodbidre, recounted the experience of her daughter, Amatul Ahad, and son-in-law, Muhammad Hisham Irshad, who left for Hajj from Bengaluru on May 22. Mumtaz claimed that both his daughter and son-in-law faced a lot of problems in Makkah and Madina, she said, “The problem is double in Mina. There is no proper bus system from Azizia to Mina. It was instructed to be ready at 3:30 pm on June 14. But the bus came and took the pilgrims the next day. The bus, which was supposed to reach Dhul Hajj in the morning on the 8th, reached after noon. Consequently, they could not access their tents in time, forcing many to wander around on the bus.”

“Despite the government collecting the fixed amount for the pilgrimage, essential arrangements were missing. Pilgrims were not given metro bus passes, and there was a severe lack of drinking and bathing water as well as adequate food. My daughter even sustained a leg injury, but there was no medical treatment available. She was forced to walk 25 km on one occasion, while my son-in-law had to sleep on the streets due to the lack of accommodation. Help finally came from pilgrims from Maharashtra who shared their camp with them,” she added.

Mumtaz further mentioned that her daughter and son-in-law were not the only ones suffering and that around 40 others faced similar problems. She also claimed that several pilgrims from across India reported such issues.

Mumtaz also alleged that attempts to draw attention to these problems have been futile, as officials have not taken responsibility. She stated, “The government, despite receiving the full amount for the pilgrimage, failed to provide necessary facilities, leading to an unsatisfactory Hajj experience. Communication was also hindered due to the unavailability to charge mobile phones.” Mumtaz also urged the government to take appropriate action on behalf of the Haj pilgrims who are facing problems.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Parliament early Friday passed the contentious Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025, after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha.

The Lok Sabha had on Thursday approved the Bill after over a 12-hour debate.

In Rajya Sabha, the Bill got 128 votes in its favour and 95 against after all the amendments moved by the opposition were rejected.

In the lower house, the bill was supported by 288 MPs while 232 voted against it.

Participating in a debate in the Rajya Sabha, Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju said the Bill was brought with a number of amendments based on suggestions given by various stakeholders.

"The Waqf Board is a statutory body. All government bodies should be secular," the minister said, explaining the inclusion of non-Muslims on the board.

He, however, said the number of non-Muslims has been restricted to only four out of 22.

Rijiju also alleged that the Congress and other opposition parties, and not the BJP, were trying to scare Muslims with the Waqf Bill.

"You (opposition) are pushing Muslims out of the mainstream," he added.

He said for 60 years, the Congress and others ruled the country, but did not do much for Muslims and the community continues to live in poverty.

"Muslims are poor, who is responsible? You (Congress) are. Modi is now leading the government to uplift them," the minister said.

According to the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, Waqf tribunals will be strengthened, a structured selection process will be maintained, and a tenure will be fixed to ensure efficient dispute resolution.

As per the Bill, while Waqf institutions' mandatory contribution to Waqf boards is reduced from 7 per cent to 5 per cent, Waqf institutions earning over Rs 1 lakh will undergo audits by state-sponsored auditors.

A centralised portal will automate Waqf property management, improving efficiency and transparency.

The Bill proposes that practising Muslims (for at least five years) can dedicate their property to the Waqf, restoring pre-2013 rules.

It stipulates that women must receive their inheritance before the Waqf declaration, with special provisions for widows, divorced women and orphans.

The Bill proposes that an officer above the rank of collector investigate government properties claimed as Waqf.

It also proposes that non-Muslim members be included in the central and state Waqf boards for inclusivity.