Riyadh: At the opening of a summit in Riyadh on November 11, 2024, Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) demanded that Israel halt its military actions in Gaza and Lebanon. Addressing leaders from the Arab League and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), MBS condemned the violence against Palestinians and Lebanese, calling it a “massacre.” He urged Israel to stop all acts of aggression and called on global nations to recognise Palestinian statehood.
Ahmed Aboul Gheit, the Secretary-General of the Arab League, also criticised Israel's actions, stating that the violence was undermining peace efforts in the region. Lebanon's Prime Minister, Najib Mikati, highlighted the "unprecedented" existential crisis faced by Lebanon as Israel escalates its military operations against Hezbollah.
Iran’s First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref condemned Israel's targeted killings of Hamas and Hezbollah leaders as "organised terrorism." Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan were among other prominent leaders in attendance.
In a joint statement, the summit leaders strongly condemned Israel's actions in Gaza, describing them as genocide and ethnic cleansing, particularly in northern Gaza. The statement reaffirmed Palestinian sovereignty over East Jerusalem and rejected Israeli measures aimed at consolidating its occupation.
The summit also reflected concerns over the recent election of Donald Trump as US president, with regional leaders signalling their stance on US engagement in the Middle East, urging for dialogue and de-escalation.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru, Apr 3 (PTI): The Karnataka government decided to establish a Gig Workers’ Welfare Board, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah’s office said on Thursday.
The decision was made following a discussion between Siddaramaiah and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi in New Delhi.
According to a statement issued by the Chief Minister’s Office (CMO), Rahul Gandhi inquired about the timeline for formulating the Gig Workers' Welfare Act, which he had promised during his Bharat Jodo Yatra and the elections.
"The Karnataka government has decided to establish a Gig Workers' Welfare Board to ensure the well-being of workers employed by companies like Amazon, Flipkart, Ola, Uber, and others," the statement said.
It further stated that a five per cent cess would be collected from the concerned companies, while the state government would provide the remaining funds required to support welfare schemes for gig workers.
"A comprehensive bill covering all aspects of gig workers' welfare will be prepared and presented before the state cabinet for approval," the statement added.
Three gig worker representatives—Rakshitha Dev, Sheikh Salahuddin, and Nikhil Dev—were also invited to the meeting.
They appreciated the government's initiative and expressed hope for improved working conditions.
State ministers Santosh Lad, Priyank Kharge, and M B Patil were present at the meeting.
Santosh Lad was quoted as saying that Rahul Gandhi, who had earlier advocated for gig workers' rights during the Bharat Jodo Yatra, welcomed the eight-point proposal prepared by the Labour department.
Rahul Gandhi also emphasised the need for swift implementation to safeguard gig workers' interests.
"The Karnataka Labour Department has already introduced three key bills—covering workers' gratuity, cinema workers' rights, and now, gig workers' welfare. The unorganised workers' sector has lauded the government's efforts and extended full support for this progressive move," the statement quoted Lad as saying.