Prayagraj (PTI): The Allahabad High Court has quashed criminal proceedings against two students accused of offering namaz at a place barred by the local administration.
A single judge bench of Justice Saurabh Srivastava set aside the proceedings arising out of an FIR lodged under sections 143 (member of unlawful assembly) and 188 (orders duly promulgated by government officials) of the IPC, observing that the implication of the applicants "who had no criminal history" was not justified.
A court in Sant Kabir Nagar had taken cognisance of the alleged offences and issued a summoning order against the two students in May 2019.
Counsel for the applicants submitted that the two were merely students with no prior criminal record and had been implicated solely for intending to perform namaz in accordance with their faith.
It was also argued that one of them was preparing for a competitive exam and continuation of trial in such a "petty offence" could adversely affect his future.
Opposing the plea, the additional government advocate acknowledged the absence of criminal history but contended that certain locations had been notified as prohibited for offering namaz to maintain law and order.
The state submitted that the applicants knowingly insisted on reading namaz at the restricted site and violated administrative instructions meant to preserve peace and harmony.
The court observed that in a democratic and secular country, citizens of every faith are guaranteed the right to follow their beliefs and rituals. However, it underlined that in a socially diverse society, directions issued by the local administration must be followed in the larger interest of communal harmony and law and order.
The bench noted that the prosecution of the two applicants, particularly in the absence of any criminal antecedents, was unjustified and could adversely impact their future.
In its order dated February 17, the court quashed the proceedings only in respect of the two applicants.
At the same time, it warned them to strictly follow any instructions or specific restraints issued by the local administration.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday will visit Meerut and flag off the Meerut Metro and Namo Bharat train at Shatabdi Nagar Namo Bharat station in the western Uttar Pradesh town.
From there, the prime minister will undertake a metro ride till Meerut South station and at around 1 pm, he will inaugurate and dedicate to the nation various development projects worth around Rs 12,930 crore in Meerut.
Modi will also address the gathering on the occasion, said a statement issued by the Prime Minister's Office.
The prime minister will dedicate to the nation the entire 82 Km Delhi–Meerut Namo Bharat corridor. He will inaugurate the remaining sections of India's first Namo Bharat Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS), which include the 5 km section between Sarai Kale Khan and New Ashok Nagar in Delhi and the 21 km section between Meerut South and Modipuram in Uttar Pradesh.
ALSO READ: Brahmapur railway station in Odisha to be redeveloped at Rs 93.19cr
With a design speed of 180 km per hour, Namo Bharat is India's first regional rapid transit system. It will connect major urban centres such as Sahibabad, Ghaziabad, Modinagar and Meerut with Delhi at a faster pace, the statement said.
The Sarai Kale Khan, the originating station of the corridor, is one of the four Namo Bharat stations to be commissioned with this inauguration.
It is strategically located as a major multi-modal hub, seamlessly connecting Hazrat Nizamuddin railway station, Delhi Metro's pink line, Veer Haqeeqat Rai ISBT, and the ring road. The other three Namo Bharat stations, Shatabdi Nagar, Begumpul and Modipuram, being commissioned are in Meerut.
The prime minister will also inaugurate the Meerut Metro services between Meerut South and Modipuram, operating on the same infrastructure as Namo Bharat, in a first-of-its-kind initiative in the country.
The Meerut Metro will be India's fastest metro system with a maximum operational speed of around 120 kmph. The metro will cover the entire stretch in just 30 minutes, with all scheduled stoppages en route.
This seamless integration of Namo Bharat and Meerut Metro on the same infrastructure will ensure high-speed intercity travel and swift intra-city movement, setting a benchmark for integrated urban and regional transit in India. It will decongest road traffic and consequently lead to a significant reduction in vehicular carbon dioxide emissions.
These projects will provide further impetus to the prime minister's vision of transforming urban mobility and ensuring seamless, efficient, modern and sustainable public transport systems that improve ease of living for citizens, the statement said.
