New Delhi, Jan 28: BJP MP Parvesh Verma on Tuesday raised the spectre of Shaheen Bagh's anti-CAA protesters in their lakhs entering homes to rape and kill women, provoking opposition outrage as the Delhi election chief submitted a report on his remarks to the Election Commission.
The West Delhi MP, who asserted in an election rally on Monday that the Shaheen Bagh protest site will be cleared in an hour on February 11 if his party comes to power, also said what happened in Kashmir with Kashmiri Pandits could happen in Delhi too.
Votes for the Delhi elections, being held on February 8, will be counted on February 11.
"What happened in Kashmir with Kashmiri Pandits could happen in Delhi also. Lakhs of people gather at Shaheen Bagh, they could enter houses rape and kill your sisters and daughters. The people need to decide now," Verma told PTI, controversial comments that attracted widespread attention.
He also told media persons there should be a probe on who was instigating people to protest against the CAA despite repeated clarifications by the government that no Indian citizen would lose citizenship due to the amended law.
Verma said Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his deputy Manish Sisodia had supported Shaheen Bagh protesters and it was now time for the people of the national capital to decide who they want to vote for on February 8.
Addressing an election rally in Janakpuri on Monday in the presence of Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Verma spoke of vacating the Shaheen Bagh protest site on the night of February 11. He also reiterated that 40 mosques, graveyards and 'mazars' illegally constructed on government land in his constituency would be cleared within if the BJP wins the elections.
Verma made the same statement at a press conference earlier this month, but put the figure of the illegal constructions at around 50.
The Delhi Chief Electoral Officer sent a report to the Election Commission on Verma's "provocative statements".
Sources in the poll panel said BJP leader and Union minister Anurag Thakur and Verma are likely to be issued show cause notices by the Election Commission soon for their controversial remarks. They said the EC had examined the reports sent by the Delhi CEO Office, and is of the view that the show cause notices should be issued to the two party leaders.
Thakur had egged on the crowd at a rally on Monday to raise an incendiary slogan -- "traitors should be shot at" -- after he lashed out at anti-CAA protestors.
Delhi Congress president Subhash Chopra and his party colleague Ajay Maken filed complaints against Thakur and Verma with the Election Commission.
The Congress asked for a ban on Varma and Thakur campaigning, alleging that they were making provocative statements to "communalise and polarise" Delhi elections.
#ShaheenBagh protesters will enter your house to kill, rape your women. They need to be stopped, don't call #Modi or #Shah for help later if you do nothing now.
— Neha Bhan (@neha_journo) January 28, 2020
What a pathetic statement from BJP MP Parvesh Verma! PROTEST IS EVERYONE'S DEMOCRATIC RIGHT!#ShaheenBaghProtest pic.twitter.com/D1rXtnIZhU
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.
The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.
Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.
District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.
Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."
The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.
Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."
"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.
Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.
"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.
