Kolkata(PTI): A bomb threat to the Indian Museum in Kolkata, which triggered a panic on Tuesday and prompted security personnel to launch a search operation, turned out to be a hoax, officials said.
The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), responsible for the security of the more than 200-year-old museum, had informed the New Market police station, following which a thorough search was initiated.
It was closed to visitors until a clearance was received from the police, sources said.
According to the officials, the museum authorities received an email which claimed that bombs would be planted in the museum on Tuesday. The message, however, did not specify the exact location.
"There are over 51 rooms in the museum, which are being searched by security personnel. So far, no suspicious object has been found," a police officer said.
The footpath of the Indian Museum on Jawaharlal Nehru Road has been cordoned off with guardrails.
The museum director, A D Choudhury, who is currently in Delhi, told PTI over the phone, "I have heard that an email had been sent. The CISF is conducting a search operation along with police."
To a question whether anything was found so far, he replied "I haven't got any such update."
To another query on whether it could have been a fool's day prank, he said, "Maybe, but we have to treat every such message seriously and inform the security agencies promptly."
Founded in 1814, the museum, which is India’s “oldest and largest” such facility, is located in the heart of Kolkata. It is an autonomous organisation under the administrative control of the Union Ministry of Culture.
Kolkata # Notice put up by the Indian Museum Authority. https://t.co/ZnJCOXgnO9 pic.twitter.com/YTCXbAWEsU
— Syeda Shabana (@JournoShabana) April 1, 2025
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Enforcement Directorate on Friday conducted searches at the chit fund company premises of Kerala-based businessman Gokulam Gopalan, one of the producers of the movie "L2: Empuraan", as part of an alleged Rs 1,000 crore foreign exchange violation case, official sources said.
The searches are being undertaken at five premises in various states, including in Chennai (Tamil Nadu) and Kochi (Kerala), under the provisions of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), the sources said.
The action is being undertaken against Gopalan and his company Sree Gopalan chit and Finance Co. Ltd. for alleged FEMA violations of Rs 1,000 crore with certain NRIs and some related "unauthorised" transactions, the sources.
The agency is also understood to be analysing some "cheating" cases against the company for possible investigation under the anti-money laundering law.
"L2: Empuraan", the second part of the "Lucifer" movie, a trilogy planned by the Prithviraj-Mohanlal team, has become a topic of hot debate over its critique of right-wing politics and the covert mention of the Gujarat riots.
Mohanlal recently expressed regret over the raging row and assured that the controversial portions would be removed from the movie.