Chandigarh (PTI): Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Monday slammed the Centre for giving its nod to the Asia Cup T20 cricket match between India and Pakistan, but denying permission to send a Sikh 'jatha' to the neighbouring country.
India beat Pakistan by seven wickets in Dubai on Sunday when the arch-rivals faced off for the first time since the April 22 Pahalgam terror attack that killed 26 people, and the subsequent military strikes by India targeting terror hideouts across the border.
The match became a flashpoint of intense debate, with political parties, leaders, and the kin of the Pahalgam victims demanding a boycott of the clash due to cross-border links of the dastardly act.
Addressing a news conference here, Mann referred to the Centre's move to deny permission to send a Sikh ‘jatha’ (group of pilgrims) to Pakistan for Sikhism founder Guru Nanak Dev's 'Parkash Purb' (birth anniversary) celebrations in November, citing security reasons.
Nankana Sahib, the birthplace of Guru Nanak Dev, and Kartarpur, his final resting place, are both located in Pakistan.
“If a (cricket) match can be played, what is the fault of the pilgrims that they cannot go to Nankana Sahib and Kartarpur Sahib? Will everything happen according to the Centre's wishes," Mann asked.
The chief minister also referred to the ban on the Diljit Dosanjh-starrer Punjabi movie 'Sardaar Ji 3' in India post the Pahalgam attack, as the film starred Pakistani actress Hania Amir.
Mann, who earlier this year came out in support of Dosanjh after the ban, said everyone still remembers how words like “gaddar” (traitor) were used even though the film was made before the Pahalgam attack on April 22.
People are also asking whether the BJP's policy is against Pakistan or against its own people, Mann claimed.
"Even the prime minister had said that blood and water cannot flow together... When they ban a film, it is the producer and the actors who suffer the loss. But the cricket match was played yesterday because its producer, who’s the son of 'bade sahab', should not suffer any loss,” Mann claimed, in an indirect reference to Amit Shah’s son Jay Shah, who is the chairman of the International Cricket Council.
“Now it is being said that the players did not shake hands with the rival team. But the fact is the two sides did play together. Did we not take catches lobbed by them? (BJP leader) Anurag Thakur says tournaments like Asia Cup are multilateral events in which one has to play.
“However, India boycotted the 1986 Asia Cup in Sri Lanka due to the civil unrest there. There was also a boycott when Sri Lanka won the World Cup in 1996,” Mann said.
In 1996, Australia and the West Indies refused to send their teams to co-hosts Sri Lanka after the bombing of the Central Bank in Colombo by the Tamil Tigers in January that year.
Alleging that the BJP government only does things which suit them, Mann said, "They will not allow a film to be released because it features an Pakistani artiste, but they have no problems with India and Pakistan playing cricket.
“What was the compulsion to play this match? The Pakistan Cricket Board will get a share of the profit, which will in turn be used in anti-India activities," he alleged.
On the Centre denying permission to Sikh pilgrims to visit Pakistan, Mann said BJP leaders Sunil Jakhar and Ravneet Singh Bittu should ask their leadership why the pilgrims are being stopped from going to the neighbouring country for Guru Nanak Dev’s birth anniversary.
“For us Punjabis, it is not a matter of politics but a matter of faith,” he said.
“Cricket matches can be held as they suit BJP’s interests, but the feelings of the Sikhs can be hurt as they do not suit them,” Mann said.
Talking about the recent floods in Punjab, Mann said if there is a natural calamity in Afghanistan, the Centre sends aid to the country “immediately”.
“The Centre announced Rs 1,600 crore assistance in view of the floods. But when I asked the chief secretary, I was told that the money is yet to be released.”
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The government has promulgated an ordinance to increase the strength of the Supreme Court from the present 34 judges to 38, including the Chief Justice of India.
The law ministry notified the ordinance on Saturday, which amended the Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Act, 1956, to increase the sanctioned strength of the top court.
So far, the sanctioned strength of the top court was 34, including the Chief Justice of India (CJI). Now, the number of judges has been increased by four, taking the sanctioned strength to 38.
The top court will now have 37 judges, other than the CJI.
With the apex court having two vacancies at present, and the ordinance coming into force immediately, the Supreme Court Collegium will now have to recommend six names for appointment as judges in the top court.
A bill will be brought in the Monsoon Session of Parliament to convert the ordinance – an executive order – into a law passed by Parliament.
The Union Cabinet had cleared a draft bill on May 5 to increase the number of apex court judges.
The strength of the Supreme Court was last increased from 30 to 33 (excluding the CJI) in 2019.
The Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Act, as originally enacted in 1956, put the maximum number of judges (excluding the CJI) at 10.
This number was increased to 13 by the Supreme Court (Number of Judges), Amendment Act, 1960, and to 17 by another amendment to the law.
The Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Amendment Act, 1986, augmented the strength of judges from 17 to 25, excluding the CJI.
A fresh amendment in 2009 further increased the strength from 25 to 30.
Article 124(3) of the Constitution lists the qualifications required to become a Supreme Court judge.
An Indian citizen who has either served as a high court judge for at least five years, or as an advocate for 10 years, or is a distinguished jurist, can be appointed to the top court.
The strength of the Supreme Court is increased based on the recommendations of the CJI, who writes to the Union law minister. After consulting the finance ministry, the Department of Justice under the law ministry moves the Cabinet with a draft bill.
