New Delhi: A Delhi court has granted interim relief to Adani Enterprises Limited (AEL), restraining several journalists, activists, and foreign-linked organisations from publishing or circulating allegedly unverified and defamatory content against the company. The court also directed that all previously published defamatory material be taken down from websites and social media platforms within a stipulated timeframe.
The interim order was passed by Senior Civil Judge Anuj Kumar Singh in response to a defamation suit filed by AEL. The court noted that the continuous circulation of unverified allegations could harm the company’s reputation, create panic among investors, affect project execution, and disrupt global business operations.
According to the suit, the allegedly defamatory content was published on platforms such as paranjoy.in, adaniwatch.org, and adanifiles.com.au. The company claimed that the coordinated publications, along with videos and social media posts, were designed to damage its global standing and investor confidence.
The defendants named in the suit include journalists Paranjoy Guha Thakurta, Ravi Nair, Abir Dasgupta, Ayaskanta Das, Ayush Joshi, and entities such as the Bob Brown Foundation, Dreamscape Network International Private Limited, Getup Limited, Domain Directors Private Limited (Instra), and unnamed individuals (John Doe).
AEL’s counsel, Vijay Aggarwal, argued that these publications had caused irreparable damage to the company’s reputation and investor trust. He stated that despite past regulatory scrutiny in 2023, AEL had not been found guilty of any wrongdoing and had since regained market confidence.
The court observed that there is a prima facie case in favour of the company and that the balance of convenience lies with the plaintiff. It held that continued distribution of such material could lead to a media trial and adversely affect public perception. The court therefore restrained the defendants from publishing, distributing, or forwarding any further unverified or defamatory content about AEL.
Additionally, the court directed that all such material already published be removed within five days. Digital intermediaries hosting this content have been instructed to take it down within 36 hours of receiving notice, in compliance with the Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules.
However, the court made it clear that this is not a blanket ban on reporting. It allowed the defendants to publish or circulate content that is fair, accurate, and based on verified and substantiated facts. The court also stated that reporting on legal proceedings and investigations is permissible, provided it meets the standards of journalistic fairness.
The matter has been listed for further hearing on October 9, 2025.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.
The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.
Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.
District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.
Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."
The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.
Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."
"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.
Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.
"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.
