Bhubaneswar, Jun 9: Amid apprehension that some bodies were still left in a coach of the Yeshwantpur-Howrah Express that was involved in the June 2 triple train accident in Odisha, an official on Friday clarified that it was rotten eggs and not human remains.
People living near Bahanaga Bazar railway station where the crash occurred claiming 288 lives have complained that a foul smell was coming from a coach left there and some bodies might have still been there.
Following the complaint, the railways with the help of the state government conducted a search.
"It was found that rotten eggs, and not human bodies, are emitting a foul smell in the station. We had got site clearance from NDRF twice," South Eastern Railway CPRO Aditya Kumar Chaudhary told reporters.
Around three tons of eggs were being transported in Yeshwantpur-Howrah Express in the parcel van, he said.
"All the eggs were rotting and a foul smell was coming. We have removed the eggs in three tractors from the accident site," Chaudhary said.
Meanwhile, the CPRO said that the railway ministry has so far disbursed compensation of Rs 22.66 crore to the families of 661 victims in connection with the train tragedy.
The next of kin of the deceased and those severely injured in the accident have received the compensation.
Chaudhary said the railways give Rs 10 lakh each to the families who lost their near and dear ones in the tragedy. Around 1200 people had suffered injuries in the accident.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.
The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.
Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.
District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.
Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."
The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.
Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."
"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.
Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.
"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.
