Dehradun (PTI): Over a 100 people were hospitalised here due to suspected food poisoning after consuming adulterated 'kuttu' (buckwheat) flour, an official said on Monday.

While 66 people who suffered from food poisoning were admitted to Coronation Hospital and 44 to Doon Medical College and Hospital, Dehradun Senior Superintendent of Police Ajay Singh stated.

The health of some of these individuals deteriorated on Sunday night, while others were brought to the hospital on Monday morning, he said. However, the condition of all the patients is now normal and there is nothing to worry about, he added.

The buckwheat flour, which caused the illness, was supplied from Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh.

Based on interrogations with the patients, the police have identified and sealed 22 shops from where the buckwheat flour was purchased. All food items from these shops were confiscated, and the shopkeepers have been called for questioning, the SSP said.

He added that the District Magistrate and Senior Superintendent of Police in Saharanpur had been informed and a team had been dispatched to Saharanpur.

Upon receiving information about the incident, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami visited Coronation Hospital and inquired about the patients’ conditions.

Wishing them a speedy recovery, he directed the District Magistrate of Dehradun and Health Department officials to ensure they received proper treatment. He also instructed that the number of beds in the hospitals be increased if necessary.

Dhami further directed the Health Secretary to investigate the matter thoroughly and take strict action against those responsible.

He emphasised that the Health Department, Food Safety Department and other relevant agencies should collaborate to ensure such incidents do not recur and that appropriate action is taken against all those responsible.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar has indicated that a water tariff hike in Bengaluru is imminent, with a potential increase of one paisa per litre.

The revision, he stated, is necessary to fund upcoming phases of the Cauvery water supply project. However, he assured that the government is committed to ensuring that it does not burden the public.

Shivakumar emphasized that the increase is essential to address the massive losses incurred by the Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB), which is reportedly losing over Rs 1,000 crore annually. "The tariff revision is unavoidable. We must raise the water rate by at least one paisa per litre. However, we have instructed BWSSB to implement this increase in a way that minimises the impact on citizens," he said.

Despite criticism over recent back-to-back price hikes on various services and commodities by the state government, Shivakumar stood firm on the need for the water tariff revision. He added that before the hike takes effect, there would be efforts to raise awareness among the public about the importance of water conservation.

Shivakumar also responded to the BJP's opposition to the tariff increase. He asserted that when they reduced electricity prices, the BJP remained silent. “If they are concerned about citizens' livelihoods, they should first focus on reducing the costs of essentials like petrol, diesel, and animal feed," he said. He further pointed out that despite recent price increases, the prices of milk and curd in Karnataka remain lower compared to other states.