Jammu (PTI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi will flag off the first Vande Bharat train to Kashmir on April 19 from Katra, marking the completion of the 272-kilometre Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla rail link project.
The Jammu-Katra-Srinagar Vande Bharat Express will initially operate from Katra as the Jammu railway station is undergoing renovation.
According to officials, the rail link project was completed last month. Trial runs of the train on the Katra-Baramulla route have been successfully conducted. The Commissioner of Railway Safety approved the train service between Katra and Kashmir in January, they said.
The Vande Bharat Express is expected to significantly reduce travel time between Jammu and Srinagar, providing a modern and efficient rail service for the region, they said.
Speaking to reporters in Jammu on Sunday, Union Minister Jitendra Singh said, "Prime Minister Modi will arrive in Udhampur on April 19. He will visit the world's highest railway bridge and inaugurate it. After that, he will flag off the Vande Bharat train from Katra."
The inauguration of the train will fulfil a long demand for direct rail connectivity to Kashmir. Currently, train services operate only between Sangaldan and Baramulla in the Valley and from Katra to destinations across the country.
Officials said the ambitious project to link Kashmir by train began in 1997 but faced multiple delays due to geological, topographical, and meteorological challenges.
The project includes 38 tunnels spanning a total of 119 km, with the longest among them being the 12.75 km-long Tunnel T-49. It is also the country's longest transportation tunnel.
The project also features 927 bridges, covering a combined length of 13 kilometres. Among them is the iconic Chenab Bridge, which has an overall length of 1,315 meters, an arch span of 467 meters, and stands 359 meters above the riverbed. Being 35 meters taller than the Eiffel Tower, it is set to be the world’s highest arch railway bridge.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru: Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar has indicated that a water tariff hike in Bengaluru is imminent, with a potential increase of one paisa per litre.
The revision, he stated, is necessary to fund upcoming phases of the Cauvery water supply project. However, he assured that the government is committed to ensuring that it does not burden the public.
Shivakumar emphasized that the increase is essential to address the massive losses incurred by the Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB), which is reportedly losing over Rs 1,000 crore annually. "The tariff revision is unavoidable. We must raise the water rate by at least one paisa per litre. However, we have instructed BWSSB to implement this increase in a way that minimises the impact on citizens," he said.
Despite criticism over recent back-to-back price hikes on various services and commodities by the state government, Shivakumar stood firm on the need for the water tariff revision. He added that before the hike takes effect, there would be efforts to raise awareness among the public about the importance of water conservation.
Shivakumar also responded to the BJP's opposition to the tariff increase. He asserted that when they reduced electricity prices, the BJP remained silent. “If they are concerned about citizens' livelihoods, they should first focus on reducing the costs of essentials like petrol, diesel, and animal feed," he said. He further pointed out that despite recent price increases, the prices of milk and curd in Karnataka remain lower compared to other states.