New Delhi, April 16: Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari on Monday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Delhi-Dasna portion of the Delhi-Meerut Expressway on April 29.

Announcing the construction of a new highway alignment between Delhi and Mumbai, at an estimated cost of Rs 1 lakh crore, Gadkari also revealed a plan for "Chambal Expressway", which would be connected to the proposed Delhi-Mumbai Expressway.

"The Minister also disclosed plans for a Chambal Expressway which would be connected to Delhi-Mumbai Expressway, and is likely to benefit states like Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan, where the backward areas will also shine like Gurugram," a ministry statement said.

Gadkari said that the Delhi-Meerut Expressway was envisaged to ease traffic and air pollution in east Delhi.

"About 40,000 commercial vehicles enter Delhi on a daily basis, which causes increased pollution and congestion... Scheme of developing Eastern and Western Peripheral Expressways around Delhi was taken up, and the Eastern Peripheral Expressway will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the 29th of this month," Gadkari said.

Gadkari also informed that a Rs 260-crore contract for constructing a signal-free corridor from Dhaula Kuan to the airport had already been awarded.

The Minister said that an eight-lane fully access-controlled Dwarka Expressway is being developed in four packages at an investment of Rs 9,500 crore. Three packages have already been awarded and the work on the expressway is likely to start in a month's time.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar has indicated that a water tariff hike in Bengaluru is imminent, with a potential increase of one paisa per litre.

The revision, he stated, is necessary to fund upcoming phases of the Cauvery water supply project. However, he assured that the government is committed to ensuring that it does not burden the public.

Shivakumar emphasized that the increase is essential to address the massive losses incurred by the Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB), which is reportedly losing over Rs 1,000 crore annually. "The tariff revision is unavoidable. We must raise the water rate by at least one paisa per litre. However, we have instructed BWSSB to implement this increase in a way that minimises the impact on citizens," he said.

Despite criticism over recent back-to-back price hikes on various services and commodities by the state government, Shivakumar stood firm on the need for the water tariff revision. He added that before the hike takes effect, there would be efforts to raise awareness among the public about the importance of water conservation.

Shivakumar also responded to the BJP's opposition to the tariff increase. He asserted that when they reduced electricity prices, the BJP remained silent. “If they are concerned about citizens' livelihoods, they should first focus on reducing the costs of essentials like petrol, diesel, and animal feed," he said. He further pointed out that despite recent price increases, the prices of milk and curd in Karnataka remain lower compared to other states.