LUCKNOW: After filing a case against BJP lawmaker, Kuldeep Singh Sengar, for the rape of a 15-year-old in Uttar Pradesh's Unnao, the police and the state government defended the delay in action and said, "The government doesn't want to save anyone."
The lawmaker has been charged under a tough law for sexual crimes against children, after the allegations of the teenager that she was raped by him nine months ago. Asked when he would be arrested, the police said the case had been handed over to the CBI.
The case came to the public glare after the girl tried to kill herself outside Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath's house on Sunday, accusing the state government of shielding the accused politician. A day later, the girl's father died in custody, days after being beaten by the lawmaker's brother, who has been arrested.
"The victim said she was scared therefore didn't mention rape in her first complaint...The SIT (Special Investigation Team) took this into consideration and then registered the complaint against the legislator," said the police chief OP Singh. The authorities said a case of rape was not filed earlier because of discrepancies in the statement of the girl.
Last night, Sengar made a dramatic appearance outside the house of a top police officer in state capital Lucknow.
After the midnight drama and amid outrage over the lawmaker's brazenness, the Yogi Adityanath government ordered the police to file a case against the ruling party lawmaker and hand over all cases related to it to the Central Bureau of Investigation or CBI.
The decision to ask the CBI to step in was taken after a special investigation team, set up by the state government, found serious lapses not just by the police but also doctors in Unnao. The government has ordered security cover to the family of the rape survivor
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Guwahati, Apr 4 (PTI): The Assam cabinet has decided to lift all cases pending against people from the Koch Rajbongshi community in the Foreigners' Tribunals, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Friday.
They will also no longer carry the tag of 'D' or doubtful voters, he said.
''There are 28,000 cases pending in different Foreigners' Tribunals in the state against people of the community. The cabinet has taken a historic decision of lifting the cases with immediate effect,'' Sarma said at a press conference here after the cabinet meeting.
The government believes that the Koch Rajbongshis are an indigenous community of the state and they are an inextricable part of ''our social and cultural fabric'', he asserted.
The people of this community are poor and have suffered a lot over the years, he said.
''They will no longer carry the tag of foreigners or ‘D’ voters,'' the CM said.
Foreigners Tribunals are quasi-judicial bodies, particularly in Assam, established to determine if a person residing in India is a "foreigner" as defined by the Foreigners Act of 1946, based on the Foreigners (Tribunals) Order of 1964.
These tribunals are designed to address matters related to citizenship and the presence of “foreigners” in India, specifically focusing on cases where someone is suspected of being an illegal immigrant.
There are 100 Foreigners’ Tribunals across Assam.
The Koch Rajbongshis have a sizeable presence in Assam, West Bengal, Meghalaya, and parts of Bangladesh, Nepal, and Bhutan, and they demand Scheduled Tribe status.