Thiruvananthapuram/Kollam (PTI): Two members of a family died near Nilamel in Kollam a day ago in a suspected case of food poisoning after dining at a restaurant in Vizhinjam, police said on Tuesday.

Two other members of the same family are currently undergoing treatment, police said, adding that the restaurant in question has been sealed and food safety officials will soon carry out an inspection there.

Later in the day, State Health Minister Veena George said she had asked the Food Safety Commissioner and the Director of Health Services to look into the matter as soon as she saw news reports about the incident.

Following this, food safety officers reached the eatery and carried out inspections, she said, adding that their report is awaited.

"As per news reports, the victims had fish. So, it has to be ascertained whether anyone else who ate fish there is unwell. At present, we cannot confirm that the deaths were due to food poisoning. This can be determined only after detailed tests," the minister told reporters.

Earlier in the morning, police said that several hundred people had eaten at the same restaurant on Monday night, but there have been no other complaints of anyone falling ill.

"So, the exact cause of death can be known only after the post-mortem. The family said the problem occurred after they ate at the restaurant," an officer of the Vizhinjam police station said.

The family hails from Nilamel near Chadayamangalam in Kollam district.

A case of unnatural death has been registered by the Chadayamangalam police, the officer added.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): French President Emmanuel Macron, along with First Lady Brigitte Macron, left Mumbai for New Delhi on Wednesday after concluding his engagements here, including bilateral talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

They were seen off at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport by Maharashtra Governor Acharya Devvrat, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Deputy CM Eknath Shinde.

On Tuesday, Macron held discussions with Modi as part of efforts to further strengthen India-France strategic ties.

During the Mumbai visit, the French president and his wife also met some of India's top filmmakers and actors, and had an animated exchange with them about cinema, culture and collaboration.

President Macron is on an official visit to India from February 17 to 19 at the invitation of PM Modi to participate in the AI Impact Summit hosted by India in the national capital Delhi, besides the bilateral summit in Mumbai.

PM Modi will inaugurate the summit on February 19. As many as 20 heads of states, including French President Macron, will be present at the inaugural session, Electronics and IT Secretary S Krishnan said.