Lucknow: A Lucknow district court has directed the registration of a complaint case against Aaj Tak anchor Anjana Om Kashyap over a controversial episode of her show Black and White, titled “भारत विभाजन का मकसद पूरा क्यों नहीं हुआ?” (Why was the purpose of India’s partition not fulfilled?), telecast on August 14, 2025.
The order came on a complaint filed by former IPS officer Amitabh Thakur, who alleged that the programme was “unwarranted, destructive, and divisive,” aimed at inflaming communal sentiments and undermining national integration.
Thakur’s plea argued that the show presented facts in a distorted manner, inciting hostility against a particular religious community. He cited portions of the broadcast where Kashyap questioned why only 96 lakh Muslims out of a population of four crores migrated to Pakistan during Partition, while larger numbers of Hindus moved from Pakistan and Bangladesh to India.
According to the complaint, framing such questions is tantamount to “asking Muslims why they are in India,” potentially provoking “intolerant persons” to think in terms of a “historical correction.”
The plea further alleged that the programme was historically misleading, ignoring the fact that India’s founding leaders had decided the country would be a pluralistic nation, not one based on religion.
The offences cited in the complaint include:
Section 196, Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) – Promoting enmity between different groups.
Section 197 BNS – Assertions prejudicial to national integration.
Section 353(2) BNS – Statements conducing to public mischief.
Thakur also informed the court that he had earlier approached the SHO of Gomtinagar to file an FIR but later moved the complaint case, alleging police inaction due to media influence.
The case will now proceed under the directions of the Lucknow court.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.
The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.
Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.
District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.
Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."
The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.
Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."
"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.
Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.
"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.
