Mangaluru: Around 300 students from government colleges and schools in Kavoor were given free sanitary pads during an awareness programme on menstrual health and hygiene held on Saturday.

The programme was organised by the Women Research Centre and the Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) at the Government First Grade College (GFGC), Kavoor. The students hailed from Government First Grade college (GFGC), PU government college and high school, Deccan Herald reported.

Prameela Rao of Women Research Centre reportedly said, such awareness programme on menstrual health and free distribution of pads will be organised once in two months throughout the year. The entire cost of organising the awareness programmes and free distribution of pads had been sponsored by US based couple, Vinay Kumar and Dr Sowmya Rao, and a non-government organisation ‘Code Crimson'."

ALSO READ: 60-year-old man arrested under POCSO Act on rape charges in Surathkal

Joint Director of the Department of Collegiate Education, Kavitha K R, who inaugurated the programme reportedly said, such initiatives should inspire students to give back to society in the future. As per the report, she highlighted the need for more women role models and encouraged students to break taboos surrounding menstruation.

According to the report, GFGC Principal Dr Geetha M L urged students to use biodegradable sanitary pads. Doctors Ankita Sarkar and Anuja Sarkar from Code Crimson addressed students on menstrual myths, hygiene practices, the importance of regular pad changes and safe disposal methods.

The speakers stressed that menstruation is a natural process and encouraged students to seek correct information without hesitation.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru (PTI): Minister Priyank Kharge on Wednesday highlighted the state’s leadership in AI and deep technology while engaging with global industry leaders and startups at a four-day summit held in New Delhi, officials said.

During the event, Priyank witnessed the signing of a strategic MoU between H Company and St John’s Medical College & Research Institute, Bengaluru, to pilot advanced enterprise AI for hospital operations and workflow automation, strengthening responsible AI in healthcare, the minister’s office said in a statement here.

Speaking on the sidelines of the India AI Impact Summit, the minister said Karnataka is ahead of the curve in AI.

“We are already home to leading global AI players such as Harvey AI and Anthropic, and The Walt Disney Company is expanding its AI network in Bengaluru,” he added.

Noting Bengaluru’s position among the top global cities for AI talent, he added, “Under our DeepTech Decade, we are supporting startups with grants of up to Rs 1 crore. We are engaging with global leaders and innovators to ensure responsible AI use, build the right skill sets, create strong incubators, and establish Centres of Excellence that can foster startups and strengthen e-governance.”

The minister also attended a roundtable organised by the US-India Business Council (USIBC), where discussions focused on strengthening technology collaboration, investment partnerships, and innovation-led growth between Karnataka and global enterprises.

He met Timo Harakka, Member of Parliament of Finland, to explore possibilities for collaboration between Karnataka and Finland in AI and deep-tech sectors, including joint research, innovation partnerships, and startup exchanges.

The Karnataka IT Minister also visited the Indian Army showcase at the summit, which featured advanced AI-driven defence and strategic technology applications, highlighting the role of AI in national security and modernisation efforts.

He toured the Karnataka Pavilion and the ArtPark Pavilion, interacting with founders and teams from Karnataka’s innovation ecosystem and reviewing emerging AI and deep-tech solutions, the statement added.