Mangaluru: The controversy surrounding the alleged disappearance of a medical student named Ananya Bhat in Dharmasthala has taken a confusing turn after complainant Sujatha Bhat made contradictory statements within hours.
In the video interview released on Friday evening, Sujatha Bhat confessed that she never had a daughter named Ananya Bhat. “It was my mistake. I apologize,” she said, adding that she had been pressured by certain individuals to create and narrate the false story. She named Girish Mattannavar and Jayanth T. as the people who compelled her to make the false claim.
She clarified that no money was offered to her. “I met them only once. They told me to say that I had a daughter and pressured me into it. I never imagined it would escalate to this level and cause such disgrace,” Sujatha Bhat explained.
She further stated that while it was true she had been in a live-in relationship, she supported herself without depending on anyone. She also expressed resentment over family property issues, alleging that when her grandfather’s land was donated to the Dharmasthala temple, her consent as a granddaughter was ignored, making her feel as if she had been erased from the family. “That hurt me deeply, which is why I went along with what they said,” she added.
“All the photos I showed were fake. I never filed a complaint against the Dharmasthala temple or anyone associated with it. I only mentioned Dharmasthala village in my statement,” Sujatha Bhat clarified in the interview.
However, soon after the video began circulating widely, Sujatha Bhat gave a completely different version to TV9.
In her televised statement, she alleged that she was forced to make the earlier confession while being confined inside a car. “They pressured me to say those words. Ananya Bhat is indeed my daughter. They made me take the names of Girish Mattannavar and Mahesh Shetty. I want justice for my daughter, and I will present the full truth before the SIT,” she said from her Bengaluru residence.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Unnao/Kanpur (UP) (PTI): A 65-year-old umpire died while several players were injured after a swarm of bees attacked them during a cricket match in Unnao district, police said on Thursday.
A top office-bearer of the Kanpur Cricket Association, which organised the game, confirmed the incident that took place at Sapru Maidan in the Shuklaganj area on Wednesday evening.
According to police officials, Manik Gupta from Kanpur was officiating as the umpire of the cricket match when a swarm of bees suddenly attacked the players and officials present on the ground, triggering panic. Players and spectators ran for cover to save themselves.
Eyewitnesses said Gupta sustained serious injuries in the attack and fell unconscious. He was initially taken to a private hospital in Shuklaganj and later referred to Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital in Kanpur as his condition deteriorated. Doctors at this hospital declared him dead.
Another umpire and around 15 to 20 players also suffered bee stings, police said.
In an official confirmation of the incident, S N Singh, president of the Kanpur Cricket Association, told PTI that umpire Manik Gupta died after being attacked by a swarm of bees during a cricket match in Unnao.
When Gupta was being rushed to the hospital, bees were still clinging to his face and body, Singh said, underscoring the intensity of the attack.
He conveyed heartfelt condolences on behalf of the association, stating that it stands firmly with the bereaved family in this hour of grief.
