Mangaluru: Fresh details from the chargesheet in the April lynching of 38-year-old Ashraf, a mentally ill man from Kerala, have put the spotlight back on the role of Ravindra Nayak, husband of former BJP corporator Sangeetha Nayak in instigating the mob. The revelations have raised serious questions on the conduct of the Mangaluru City Police, who initially dismissed his involvement despite statements from all 21 accused pointing to his active role.

The case, which took place during a cricket tournament in Kudupu, had sparked communal tensions after some participants alleged that Ashraf shouted “Pakistan Zindabad” before being beaten to death. However, rights groups and several villagers have contested this narrative, saying Ashraf appeared mentally unstable and was targeted following a minor altercation.

Police Commissioner’s Statement vs Chargesheet Evidence

On April 30, just a day after the statements were recorded, the then Mangaluru Police Commissioner Anupam Agrawal told The News Minute that “nobody had complained” against Ravindra Nayak. This public denial came despite the fact that, according to the chargesheet, all accused had spoken in detail about his involvement during their interrogation on April 29.

The statements, now part of the court record, paint a consistent picture Nayak was present during the assault, dismissed attempts by some players to stop the beating, and openly encouraged the mob to “beat him to death” because he allegedly shouted pro-Pakistan slogans.

What the Accused Told the Police

In their accounts, several accused said that after Ashraf was first assaulted, a few members of the Konguru cricket team, including Deepak, urged others to stop. They pointed out that Ashraf seemed mentally unstable and had already suffered serious injuries, suggesting that he should be taken to hospital to avoid trouble.

However, according to the statements, Nayak, referred to as “Ravi anna” along with Manjunath and Devadas, overruled them. He allegedly told the group:

“If you simply let go of someone who comes into our area shouting ‘Pakistan, Pakistan,’ tomorrow more people will come and do the same. We will question him properly, then inform the police, and will make all arrangements so that none of us gets into trouble.”

The chargesheet quotes multiple accused as saying that Nayak’s words emboldened the crowd. Others, including Kishore Kumar and Anil Kudupu, reportedly supported him and urged, “Don’t let this sulemaga(b@st@rd) go. Beat him to death right here.”

Cover-Up and Instructions to Stay Silent

The statements also reveal that Nayak played a role after the assault in trying to cover up the incident. Another accused Devadas and Nayak allegedly told the group:

“What’s done is done. Now, we should all act as if we know nothing. Do not tell anyone about what happened. If the police come and ask, say you know nothing. If anyone opens their mouth, all of us will get into trouble. If the police call us for inquiry, inform us we’ll all go together. At the station, no one else should speak, I will do the talking. If no one reveals what happened, the police will file a C report and close the case.”

This assurance, according to the accused, gave them the confidence to stay quiet in the initial days after the killing.

Night Meeting at Nayak’s House

An additional statement from accused Sridutt adds another layer to the case. He recounted that later that night, he and fellow accused Dixit met a friend who they informed about Nayak’s presence at the scene. Following this, they went to Nayak’s house in Kudupu, where he reportedly told them:

“Nothing will happen to the people. Don’t be afraid. If no one speaks up, it will be over. I will take care of everything.”

From ‘Unnatural Death’ to Murder Case

Initially, the police registered the case as an “unnatural death” and claimed Ashraf had fallen while drunk. It was only after public outrage, media coverage, and pressure from rights groups that it was registered as a murder case. The post-mortem report that came-out on July 25, confirmed 35 external injuries, all caused by blunt force impact. Ashraf had bruises, cuts, tramline marks, and internal bleeding in multiple parts of his body, including his head and genitals.

Rights groups have alleged that the “Pakistan Zindabad” claim was fabricated to justify the brutal assault. The fact-finding report ‘Lost Fraternity: A Mob Lynching in Broad Daylight’ criticised the authorities for failing to act promptly and for shielding those politically connected.

Questions Over Police Integrity

The fact that the then police commissioner Anupam Agrawal denied Nayak’s involvement even when statements against him were already recorded raises troubling questions about whether the investigation was influenced to protect him. The delay in arresting key accused more than 48 hours after the lynching also points to lapses in handling the case.

After the transfer of the then Mangaluru Police Commissioner, Sudheer Kumar Reddy took charge, giving fresh momentum to the investigation into Ashraf’s murder and ensuring proper arguments were presented in court against the accused. However, on the question of Ravindra Nayak’s role, the new commissioner too maintained that there was no evidence against him. He went a step further by summoning to the police station those who posted on social media asking why Nayak had not been arrested, warning them that unless they had evidence against him, they should refrain from making such posts.

Activists say the chargesheet exposes a pattern where the police tried to control the narrative, initially downplaying the incident, pushing a communal angle, and avoiding action against a politically influential figure.

In the chargesheet, police have stated that since Ravindra Nayak’s role has not been “clearly established” in the investigation so far and he has not been available for questioning, he has not been named as an accused at this stage. The document notes that further investigation will be carried out to verify his involvement, and any necessary action will be taken based on the findings.

For now, Nayak remains named in the chargesheet only based on consistent testimonies from all accused, but whether this translates into accountability will depend on how the case proceeds in court.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Mangaluru and Dakshina Kannada in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Mangaluru.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Congress leader Sachin Pilot on Thursday hit out at Union minister Kiren Rijiju for passing a "disrespectful and inappropriate" remark against Rahul Gandhi, and asked him to apologise for it.

He was answering a query regarding Rijiju's reported statement in which he described Gandhi as the "most dangerous person" for India's security, and a purported video of a man claiming to be from Karni Sena issuing death threats to the Congress leader.

Addressing a press conference here, Pilot said, "When ordinary journalists criticise the government, they face FIRs and jail. But when threats are issued against the Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha (Rahul Gandhi), there is silence. This shows the government's intention. LoP is a constitutional position. To describe him as a security threat is inappropriate and disrespectful. Even as such open threats are being made, the government is not taking any action."

"The statement 9against Gandhi) should be withdrawn and an apology should be issued," the Congress general secretary said, adding that it is the job of the LoP to seek accountability from the government and ask questions.

To a query on the plane crash in which Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar was killed on January 28, Pilot said, "I do not want to speculate. There should be a transparent, time-bound inquiry. If there are doubts, a high-level investigation should clarify facts."

When asked about the demand for leadership change in the opposition INDIA bloc, he said, "Leadership decisions are internal matters. The alliance worked remarkably well in the last Lok Sabha election. The gap in numbers between the INDIA bloc and the NDA was not very wide. We are working together strongly and will continue to do so."

The Congress has been helming the INDIA bloc, a coalition of Opposition parties formed before the 2024 Lok Sabha elections to counter the ruling BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA). However, voices from disgruntled Congress members and those associated with the UPA dispensation suggested that the leadership of the opposition alliance should be given to West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee or Tamil Nadu CM M K Stalin.

On Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the Indian economy, Pilot said, "India is a major IT power. We have talent and capability. Many countries see India as a natural partner. But we must use our strengths wisely and not compromise our sovereignty under pressure."

"India should have the freedom to decide where to buy oil from. That is a sovereign decision," Pilot said.

On the issue of illegal migration, he said anybody staying illegally in India should be removed regardless of religion or caste.

"But this issue should not be politicised. If the border has been under control for 11 years, how did illegal immigrants enter? The government should provide data on how many people have been deported," he said.

"This government's intent and policies are anti-farmer and there is no accountability. The opposition will continue to demand answers from the government and stand with farmers and the people of India," he said.