Dharmasthala (PTI): The BJP on Monday organised a massive rally in Dharmasthala, demanding a central agency probe into allegations of multiple murders, rapes, and burials in the temple town.
According to the party, nearly one lakh people from across Karnataka participated in the demonstration, which it described as a show of solidarity against what it termed an "attempt to vilify the temple and its traditions."
The 'Dharmasthala Chalo' rally saw the participation of Union Minister Pralhad Joshi, former Chief Minister Sadananda Gowda, Leader of Opposition in the Assembly R Ashoka, BJP state president B Y Vijayendra, MPs, and other senior leaders.
Addressing the gathering, Vijayendra urged the Centre to hand over the case to either the CBI or the NIA.
He accused the Congress government led by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah of "failing to deliver justice to the Hindu community."
Vijayendra questioned the credibility of the SIT formed by the state, claiming, "Congress should not test the patience of crores of devotees." He also visited the family of a girl who was allegedly raped and murdered over a decade ago, assuring her mother that the party would continue pressing for justice in the case.
The alleged rape and murder of the 17-year-old college student in 2012 remains a sensitive issue in coastal Karnataka. The BJP leader’s visit comes amid renewed public attention, following protests and calls for an impartial investigation.
Meanwhile, Joshi accused the Siddaramaiah-led government of "appeasement politics" and said allegations of hidden graves at Dharmasthala were intended to malign a major Hindu pilgrimage centre. "If such claims were made about a mosque or church, would pits be dug without evidence?" he asked, calling for vigilance against what he termed "divisive politics".
Party leaders said the rally aimed to counter a "smear campaign" against one of Karnataka’s most prominent religious and cultural centres.
Ashoka alleged "urban Naxal influence" in the case and said the SIT was targeting "small fish" instead of the real culprits.
The Congress government has constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the allegations. However, the BJP maintained that only a central agency "could ensure a transparent investigation."
Earlier in the day, Vijayendra and Ashoka, along with a delegation of BJP leaders, visited the Manjunatha temple, offered prayers, and met the temple's Dharmadhikari, Veerendra Heggade.
The controversy erupted after a complainant, later identified as C N Chinnaiah, alleged that dozens of bodies—including those of women showing signs of sexual assault—had been buried in Dharmasthala over the past two decades. Chinnaiah has since been arrested on charges of perjury.
The SIT has conducted search operations at multiple sites along the forested banks of the Netravathi River, identified by the complainant, where skeletal remains were recovered at two locations.
On Sunday, the JD(S), led by youth wing president Nikhil Kumaraswamy, organised a similar demonstration in Dharmasthala under the banner of ‘Dharmasthala Sathya Yatre,’ also seeking a central probe.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru: The Karnataka government has ruled out any relaxation of the minimum age limit for admission to Class 1 beginning with the academic year 2026-27. Following the refusal, a group of parents continues to press for leniency.
Parents of children who fall under the age of six by a small margin on the cut-off date have met Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and senior officials from the Department of School Education and Literacy to request an exemption. School Education and Literacy Minister Madhu Bangarappa said that the government will not change its decision, as reported by Deccan Herald.
According to the minister, children must be six years old by June 1 to be eligible for admission to Class 1. beginning with the 2026-27 academic year. He noted that the previous relaxation was a one-time measure that was clearly confined to the 2025-26 academic year.
“If such requests are entertained every year, it will never end. While granting relaxation last year, it was explicitly stated that it applied only to one academic year. From 2026-27 onwards, the rule will be strictly implemented,” Bangarappa was quoted by DH.
Parents argue that the rigid cut-off is affecting children who are short by a few days. One parent was quoted by DH as saying that his daughter would be 12 days short of completing six years on June 1. Such parents would be forced to repeat a year despite being academically ready. Others pointed out that children promoted from LKG to UKG during the 2025-26 academic year are now facing uncertainty over their transition to Class 1.
Few parents also recalled that earlier, admissions were allowed for children aged between five years and 10 months and six years. Parents saw it as a more practical approach, with children born in November and December being disproportionately affected.
The issue of age criterion goes back to a government order issued in July 2022. The order mandated six years as the minimum age for Class 1 admission. Parents of children already enrolled in pre-primary classes, protested against the order and the state deferred implementation, announcing that the rule would come into force from the 2025-26 academic year.
After renewed pressure, the government granted a one-year relaxation for 2025-26, citing the large number of students affected and in consultation with the State Education Policy Commission. While announcing the exemption, the minister had stated that no further concessions would be allowed.
