Bengaluru: Serious allegations have emerged that organised efforts are being made to weaken the functioning of the Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the alleged mass burials, disappearances, and suspicious deaths in Dharmasthala. A complaint has been submitted to judges of the Karnataka High Court seeking registration of a suo motu case in this regard.
The petition was filed by Raghu Janagere, a member of the “Lanchmukta Karnataka Nirmana Vedike,” who has also forwarded a copy to the Chief Justice of India, Justice B.R. Gavai. The letter was addressed to Karnataka High Court Chief Justice Vibhu Bakhru.
In his submission, Janagere urged the High Court to take immediate suo motu cognisance of the matter. He alleged that vested interests were exerting pressure to derail the SIT’s ongoing investigations.
The SIT was constituted by the Karnataka government on July 19, 2025, following allegations that hundreds of bodies had been illegally buried in Dharmasthala over the years. The team was tasked with investigating cases of disappearances and suspicious deaths spanning the last 25 years. Among these is the infamous October 9, 2012 case involving the rape and murder of 17-year-old Soujanya, which remains unresolved despite sustained protests by activists.
The complaint further alleged that attempts were being made to prevent victims and activists from approaching the SIT. Instead, police complaints were being filed against them to intimidate families and witnesses, thereby creating a climate of fear.
Notable activists such as Mahesh Shetty Timarodi, Girish Mattannavar, Sameer M.D., and Jayanth have been named in multiple police cases. Even Sujata Bhatt, reportedly suffering from psychological trauma, has been targeted in this manner, the petition claimed.
Janagere alleged that this was the result of collusion between vested interests and certain police officials, aimed at weakening the SIT’s work. He requested the High Court to monitor the case under the supervision of a retired judge to ensure impartiality.
The petition also sought strict directions to the police to prevent misuse of the system against activists, victims, and witnesses.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.
The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.
Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.
District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.
Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."
The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.
Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."
"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.
Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.
"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.
