Beltangady: A complaint has been submitted to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) alleging that a group of individuals buried a dead body illegally in Ujire, Beltangady taluk. The complainant, Bhaskar Badakottu, claimed that although he had earlier approached the local police, no proper investigation was conducted into the matter.

According to SIT officials, the complaint has been received and will be examined. They stated that if the issue involves any criminal activity, the matter will be forwarded to the jurisdictional police station for further action.

The complaint mentions that a resident of Ujire village, Sompa alias Balakrishna Shetty, had gone missing and a report was filed on December 18, 2018. Around the same period, it was alleged that a dead body was discovered while cutting trees on government land at Billarodi, Ujire. The complaint further alleges that some people later buried the body at the same spot.

Though family members of the missing person were urged to file a complaint, they reportedly did not do so. Bhaskar Badakottu himself lodged a complaint with Beltangady police on December 8, 2018, naming suspects. Police did visit the spot, but the complainant alleges that the investigation was not pursued seriously due to pressure from certain quarters.

Since the missing person has not returned to date, the complaint now raises suspicion that the body of Sompa alias Balakrishna Shetty was illegally buried on government land by Mahesh Shetty Timarodi and others.

SIT has confirmed receiving the complaint and assured that necessary action will be taken as per law.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Mangaluru and Dakshina Kannada in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Mangaluru.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Unnao/Kanpur (UP) (PTI): A 65-year-old umpire died while several players were injured after a swarm of bees attacked them during a cricket match in Unnao district, police said on Thursday.

A top office-bearer of the Kanpur Cricket Association, which organised the game, confirmed the incident that took place at Sapru Maidan in the Shuklaganj area on Wednesday evening.

According to police officials, Manik Gupta from Kanpur was officiating as the umpire of the cricket match when a swarm of bees suddenly attacked the players and officials present on the ground, triggering panic. Players and spectators ran for cover to save themselves.

Eyewitnesses said Gupta sustained serious injuries in the attack and fell unconscious. He was initially taken to a private hospital in Shuklaganj and later referred to Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital in Kanpur as his condition deteriorated. Doctors at this hospital declared him dead.

Another umpire and around 15 to 20 players also suffered bee stings, police said.

In an official confirmation of the incident, S N Singh, president of the Kanpur Cricket Association, told PTI that umpire Manik Gupta died after being attacked by a swarm of bees during a cricket match in Unnao.

When Gupta was being rushed to the hospital, bees were still clinging to his face and body, Singh said, underscoring the intensity of the attack.

He conveyed heartfelt condolences on behalf of the association, stating that it stands firmly with the bereaved family in this hour of grief.