Mangaluru: Lawyers representing the key witness in the Dharmasthala mass burial case have criticised the public statement made by Superintendent of Police (SP) Dr Arun K on Wednesday, calling it misleading and dismissive of the complainant’s efforts to bring a dark chapter of history to light.
In a detailed statement issued on behalf of the complainant, advocates Dheeraj S J and Ananya Gowda expressed concern over what they called a “complete misrepresentation” of facts by the district police and said the SP’s comments fail to acknowledge the complainant’s intent, cooperation and vulnerability.
The lawyers pointed out that contrary to what the police narrative implies, the complainant did not approach the authorities initially. Instead, driven by conscience and a fear of divine justice, he came forward on his own and sought legal counsel to confess about the mass burials. The lawyers clarified that there was no active investigation or police interest in these alleged crimes until the complainant initiated contact.
They accused the police of ignoring this crucial background in their public statements, which they said gives a wrong impression to the public.
Responding to the SP’s claim that the release of information to the public compromises witness protection, the lawyers said the complainant never tried to hide his identity to avoid scrutiny. Rather, the decision to share a redacted version of the complaint and FIR through lawyers was taken in good faith to ensure transparency while ensuring the witness's safety.
“The suggestion that the police are now free from their duty to protect him because certain details have been shared is completely wrong,” the lawyers said, adding that this interpretation goes against the Witness Protection Scheme, 2018.
The lawyers also accused the investigating officer of attempting to violate attorney-client privilege by questioning whether the release of the complaint and FIR had the witness’s approval. They called this move a serious legal overreach, adding that it threatens fundamental legal protections available to every citizen.
They questioned the police’s discomfort with media coverage around the issue and said such behaviour creates a chilling effect on people willing to come forward with sensitive information.
Refuting the SP’s claim that the witness’s location is unknown, the lawyers said this was factually incorrect. According to them, on July 14, police officers spent more than four hours recording the complainant’s statement at an undisclosed location. Moreover, on July 13, his temporary address had been formally shared with the police over email.
“The suggestion that they are unaware of his whereabouts is simply not true. The lapse, if any, is from their side,” the lawyers added.
One of the strongest points raised in the statement was about the police's failure to act after receiving clear evidence. The complainant, in his official 164 statement (Section 183 of BNSS) recorded before a magistrate on July 11, had voluntarily handed over human remains from a burial site to the police and forensic team. This was done late in the night and took several hours of coordination.
The complainant, the lawyers said, had expected that the next day the police would accompany him back to the site for a formal inspection and evidence collection. However, no such follow-up has happened even as of July 16.
They called the delay “shocking” and said it indicated a lack of seriousness from the authorities, despite the presence of irrefutable evidence and the witness’s full cooperation.
The lawyers also revealed that the complainant fears for his life and believes that each body he helps recover reduces the motive to eliminate him. “He is not trying to run away. He wants these remains exhumed while he is still alive,” they said, urging the police to act urgently.
Wrapping up their statement, the lawyers made it clear that their client is not trying to create trouble but attempting to expose a brutal historical injustice. They urged the authorities to recognise the courage it takes to do so and not treat the complainant as an adversary.
“The complainant remains available, willing, and committed to assist the investigation,” they said, calling on the police to perform their duties responsibly and without delay.
The statement was signed by Advocates Dheeraj S J and Ananya Gowda, who have now taken charge of the case from their colleagues Ojaswi Gowda and Sachin Deshpande.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.
Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.
However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.
"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.
The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.
"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.
With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.
"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."
Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.
"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.
"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."
