Mangaluru: In a major development in the Dharmasthala mass burial case, the whistleblower, a former sanitation worker appeared before the Special Investigation Team (SIT) in Mangaluru on Saturday, July 26. He was questioned for more than seven hours and recorded his statement before investigating officer Jitendra Kumar Dayama.
According to sources, the complainant’s legal team received a notice late on Friday night, July 25, summoning him for questioning at the newly established SIT office located at the PWD Inspection Bungalow (IB) in Mallikatte, Kadri. Two rooms within the bungalow have been reserved for the SIT’s operations.
A day earlier, senior officials from the SIT, including DIG M N Anucheth and DySP Dayama, reached Mangaluru and officially took over the case files from the Dakshina Kannada district police. The SIT is currently examining land survey records and other crucial documents related to the alleged burial sites as part of the probe.
The case, which has triggered widespread concern, is based on a complaint filed by the former employee who claimed that he had buried the bodies of several women and children on instructions from his superiors over a period spanning 20 years between 1995 and 2015. The complainant also submitted skeletal remains, reportedly exhumed from one of the alleged burial sites, as evidence to support his claims.
The Mangaluru rural police had registered a case based on the complaint on July 4. Following public pressure and demands for a fair probe, the Karnataka government constituted the Special Investigation Team on July 19.
The SIT is headed by senior IPS officer DGP Pronab Mohanty, who is also in charge of the Internal Security Division and Cyber Command. His appointment came after the complainant’s legal team appealed to the government to assign an impartial officer to lead the investigation.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): A 30-year-old man was found hanging at his residence in northeast Delhi's Jafrabad area on Thursday, with police suspecting that matrimonial discord may have driven him to take the extreme step, an official said.
Information was received from Lok Nayak Jai Prakash (LNJP) Hospital regarding a person who had been brought dead, he said.
During enquiry, the deceased was identified as Chand (30), a resident of Welcome area. Police said he was staying with his brother at a house in Jafrabad where he was allegedly found hanging.
According to police, Chand was first taken to Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital by family members after they found him in an unconscious state, and was declared brought dead.
The family later shifted him to LNJP Hospital seeking a second medical opinion, where doctors again declared him dead, police said.
Police said the body has been sent for post-mortem to ascertain the cause of death.
During preliminary verification, it came to light that Chand was facing matrimonial issues. His wife had reportedly left him and shifted to her parental home following disputes between the couple, police said, adding that the angle is being examined as part of the investigation.
Crime and forensics teams were informed and necessary legal proceedings are underway, police said.
