*Dharmasthala mass burials: SIT files case against complainant-witness, names him as primary accused*
Belthangady: The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the Dharmasthala mass burial case has reportedly filed a case against the complainant-witness CN Chinnaiah under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, identifying him as the primary accused.
While the inquest of the sites where the bones were found is yet to be carried out, the complainant is accused of perjury by providing false information to the court and giving rise to confusion regarding the case, sources have said.
Chinnaiah has given his statement in court under BNS Section 164 earlier, but has now given a contrary statement before the SIT members. He has made his new statement in court too and a fresh round of investigation is being carried out on the basis of the second statement in court. Sources have also said that the new cases are filed under BNS Sections 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 236, 240, 240, 248 and 336.
In addition, the inquest at the residence of Sowjanya movement activist Mahesh Shetty Timarodi in Ujire, where the complainant had taken shelter during the investigation in Dharmasthala, has been completed, with the police confiscating Chinnaiah’s things from Timarodi’s house.
The court has reportedly said that Chinnaiah’s statement and matters related to the case filed against him are kept confidential as requested by the SIT officers. It has also said that the accused is granted witness protection in spite of the case against him.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Karachi (PTI): At least 16 people, including many children, were killed and 14 others injured when a suspected gas leakage led to an explosion in a residential building in Pakistan's Karachi on Thursday morning.
“The explosion took place around 4:30 am on the first floor of the building located in the Old Soldier Bazar area when everyone was awake for Sehri time,” police official Jamshed Asher said.
The first day of Ramzan is being observed in Pakistan today.
The police official said that the reason for the explosion apparently was a gas leakage.
ALSO READ: IIT-Madras to establish applied AI innovation centre in Dubai
Due to gas shortage in Pakistan’s biggest city, many families especially in lower income residential areas use liquid petroleum gas cylinders at their homes.
Police surgeon Dr Samaiya Syed confirmed that they have received 14 bodies so far from the blast site while 14 injured are under treatment.
The explosion caused a part of the building structure to collapse due to its dilapidated condition.
“We are still searching through the rubble and debris to see if there are any more bodies or survivors,” Chief Fire Officer Humayun Khan said.
The deceased include at least nine children aged between two and 17 while the injured also include seven children.
This is the second major tragedy to occur in Karachi. Last month, a fire broke out in the basement of the Gul Shopping Plaza, a wholesale and retail market, in the Saddar area killing at least 79 people and leaving scores injured.
