Mangaluru: In the aftermath of the brutal murder of Suhas Shetty in Bajpe on Thursday, Dakshina Kannada MP Captain Brijesh Chowta, has formally written to Union Home Minister Amit Shah urging an immediate transfer of the investigation to the National Investigation Agency (NIA).

In his letter, Chowta expressed anger and described the killing as part of a recurring pattern of lawlessness and targeted violence in coastal Karnataka. He cited previous incidents, including the high-profile murder of BJP activist Praveen Nettar, and pointed to alleged involvement of radical organizations such as the now-banned Popular Front of India (PFI). “This incident is not isolated,” Chowta wrote, adding that the killing has “shaken the people of the entire coastal Karnataka region to the core.”

“Suhas Shetty's family is devastated and is looking to us for justice. As their elected representative, and as someone who has personally witnessed the pain and desperation that grips the region today, I appeal to you with utmost urgency and sincerity, that this case be handed over to the National Investigation Agency (NIA) for a comprehensive and impartial investigation as there is a possibility of involvement of activists from the banned PFI organisation,” he added.

Taking to his official 'X' (formerly Twitter) account, Chowta further alleged a pattern of targeted attacks against Hindu activists during Congress rule in Karnataka. “Every time Congress comes to power, our region sees a rise in targeted killings of Hindu karyakartas,” he wrote. He warned that the method of Suhas Shetty’s killing is similar to earlier attacks, requiring a national-level investigation.

Meanwhile, the situation across Dakshina Kannada district remained tense on Friday, with incidents of stone-pelting and stabbing reported in some areas. Prohibitory orders, which were initially enforced within Mangaluru Commissionerate limits, have now been extended across the entire Dakshina Kannada district.

Deputy Commissioner Mullai Muhilan M.P. has issued an order imposing Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) throughout the district until May 5.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Mangaluru and Dakshina Kannada in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Mangaluru.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Maihar (MP) (PTI): A traffic policeman suffered severe burn injuries in Madhya Pradesh's Maihar district on Friday after his uniform caught fire during Congress' effigy-burning protest targeted at some ministers, prompting the police to file an FIR and launch an investigation into the incident, an official said.

The protest took place at Agrasen Tiraha in Maihar city, he said.

Traffic policeman, Vikram Pathak, who was on duty at that time, suffered severe burn injuries as petrol carried in a bottle by the protesters fell on his uniform and it caught fire.

Congress workers were burning an effigy while raising slogans against state ministers Rajendra Shukla (Health), Vijay Shah (Tribal Affairs), and Kailash Vijayvargiya (Parliamentary Affairs).

While the opposition party has been targeting Shah for his controversial remarks made last year against Col Sofia Qureshi, it has been demanding the resignations of Shukla and Vijayvargiya over the deaths of people due to contaminated water in Indore.

As the protesters tried to set the effigy on fire, petrol got sprinkled on Pathak's uniform, and it caught fire. The blaze quickly spread to his back and lower body, causing panic during the protest, eyewitnesses said.

A video of the incident also went viral, showing a stampede-like situation soon after the fire.

The police personnel and locals present at the scene acted swiftly and extinguished the fire using blankets and water. The injured traffic policeman was immediately taken to Maihar Civil Hospital, where he is undergoing treatment, the official said.

Doctors said he suffered severe burn injuries, but is out of danger.

Taking serious cognisance of the matter, the police launched an investigation, he said.

An FIR has been registered based on the video footage, and the role of those involved in the protest is being investigated, the official said.

Police are also investigating the circumstances under which flammable material was used during the effigy- burning protest.

Following the accident, additional police force was deployed at the protest site and the surrounding area.

Superintendent of Police Awadhesh Kumar and Collector Rani Batad described the incident as serious and assured strict action against those involved in it.

"A demonstration was being carried out by the Congress, and during the effigy-burning, some petrol was spilled on the uniform of Vikram Pathak, the in-charge on duty, after which it suddenly caught fire and caused burn injuries to him," SP Kumar said.

An investigation is being conducted on the basis of the video, he said.

Madhya Pradesh BJP chief Hemant Khandelwal said in Bhopal, "I have spoken to the policeman and offered my prayers. There is a way to protest. Whatever happened is not right.