Mangaluru: Passengers arriving from Dubai on an Air India Express flight to Mangaluru on Saturday evening were left angry and helpless after learning that their luggage had not arrived with them and was left behind in Dubai.

When the flight landed and travellers went to collect their baggage, they were informed by the airline staff that several bags had not been loaded due to the aircraft being “full”. The staff assured passengers that the missing luggage would arrive on the next flight from Dubai at 5 am on Sunday and would be delivered to their addresses.

The explanation, however, did little to calm the passengers. Many of them including those who had travelled just for a day or were carrying perishable items got into heated arguments with the airline staff at Mangaluru International Airport.

“Why didn’t you inform us in Dubai before taking our baggage? If there wasn’t enough space, why were we allowed to board with full tickets? You’ve given us receipts saying the luggage will reach Mangaluru but left it behind without a word. Had we known this earlier, we wouldn’t have taken this flight,” some passengers questioned.

Several travellers said they had essential items and clothes in their checked baggage. “You say the bags will come tomorrow morning, but of what use is that when some of us have to return tonight itself?” one passenger said.

Airline staff reportedly told the passengers to provide their contact details so that the luggage could be delivered to their homes once it arrived. However, many travellers said they were not satisfied with the response.

Some frequent flyers alleged that such issues were becoming common with Air India Express. “This is the third or fourth time this has happened to me,” said one passenger. Others demanded compensation for items that might get spoiled due to the delay.

The flight, which was scheduled to depart from Dubai at 12 pm and reach Mangaluru by 5:30 pm, took off only around 2:30 pm and landed at 7:20 pm. Upon arrival, the baggage issue came to light, leaving many passengers frustrated and angry with the airline’s handling of the situation.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".