Mangaluru: Mangaluru City Police have helped an elderly woman recover the ₹17 lakh she had lost in a “digital arrest” scam. The money was symbolically handed over to the victim at the Police Commissioner’s office in the presence of DCPs Mithun and Ravishankar.
Explaining the case, DCP Mithun said that on October 23, a 79-year-old woman from Bejai received a WhatsApp call from a person posing as a police officer. The caller falsely claimed that an arrest warrant had been issued against her and threatened her with immediate detention unless she deposited money for verification purposes.
Fearing arrest, the woman was kept engaged on a WhatsApp video call for nearly five hours, a method fraudsters use to simulate a “digital arrest.” During this time, she went to her bank and transferred ₹17 lakh from her savings account to the scammer’s account by around 3 pm.
Later that evening, around 6 pm, she confided in a neighbour, who immediately accompanied her to the Cyber Crime Police Station to file a complaint. Acting quickly, the police contacted the 1930 cyber helpline and had the recipient account blocked. They also coordinated with the bank manager to confirm that the money was still intact.
On October 24, the police submitted a request to the court to release the frozen funds. Due to the intervening holidays, the court issued an order on October 27, after which the money was transferred back to the victim’s account.
DCP Mithun said the quick complaint and immediate action by the police made it possible to recover the entire amount. He pointed out that in most such cases, victims delay reporting due to fear or embarrassment, making recovery difficult.
In Mangaluru city limits alone, cybercriminals have duped victims of over ₹8 crore this year in eight different cases. So far, police have recovered ₹35.98 lakh. Elderly citizens are said to be the most frequent targets of digital arrest scams.
DCP Mithun warned the public that there is no legal process called “digital arrest” in India. He clarified that law enforcement agencies such as the police, judiciary, CBI, or ED do not operate in such a manner. He urged people not to panic or comply when they receive such calls, and instead, disconnect immediately and contact the Cyber Crime Police.
He also noted that digital investment scams are on the rise. Many people lose money by investing in fake trading platforms without verifying whether they are approved by RBI or SEBI. The police are conducting awareness campaigns in neighbourhoods and educational institutions to alert citizens about such frauds, he added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
