Bantwal: A case has been registered at the Bantwal Rural Police Station after two men riding a scooter were allegedly chased by a helmet-wearing man near the Deraje bus stop in Sajipa on Thursday night. The incident sparked alarm after social media posts falsely claimed a sword attack had occurred in the area.

Dakshina Kannada Superintendent of Police, Dr. Arun Kumar, issued a clarification stating that no such sword attack took place. He emphasised that the viral claims were baseless and that no weapons were witnessed in the incident.

According to the complaint lodged by Muhammad Maqbool, he and his relative were travelling towards Melkar around 10 PM when a helmeted individual allegedly began chasing them on foot near Deraje. Maqbool informed the police that he did not see any sword or weapon in the man’s hand but, fearing danger, instructed his relative to speed away. They later informed their family after reaching Nandavara.

SP Dr. Arun Kumar confirmed that Maqbool distanced himself from the viral messages and denied playing any role in gathering a crowd at the spot. Police have taken the complaint seriously and are conducting a detailed investigation.

Authorities are also probing whether this incident has any connection to a previous attempted murder case in Deraje last week or the Bakrid cattle seizure incident. Preliminary CCTV footage from near the location reportedly does not match Maqbool’s account, and further examination is underway.

The SP reiterated that legal action would be taken based on the outcome of the investigation.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."