Mangaluru: Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Friday inaugurated the Dakshina Kannada District Magistrate’s Office Complex, officially named ‘Praja Soudha’, constructed at Padil in Mangaluru. The inauguration was attended by Speaker U.T. Khader, Revenue Minister Krishna Byre Gowda, Health and Family Welfare Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao, Urban Development Minister Byrathi Suresh, and several other dignitaries.

In the event, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah engaged in a sharp exchange with Mangaluru South BJP MLA Vedavyas Kamath over claims made during the latter’s speech. Kamath, who spoke before the Chief Minister, credited Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the Smart City project, calling it the PM’s dream, and suggested that the new developments would not have materialized without the Centre’s involvement.

He also expressed frustration that efforts made during the BJP government's tenure, especially regarding the stalled Urva Sports Complex project and the issuance of right certificates to over 690 families in 2023 were being ignored. Kamath criticized Congress workers for allegedly installing unauthorized banners across the city to welcome the Chief Minister, while earlier, flexes put up for traditional local events like Kola, Nema, and Bhajana Mangalotsavas were reportedly removed under rule enforcement.

Kamath also condemned what he called the political appropriation of development projects by the Congress, urging the ruling party not to politicize public welfare issues.

In a strong rebuttal, CM Siddaramaiah responded directly to Kamath’s statements, warning against the distortion of history and the politicization of development. “Mr. Kamath, I consider myself fortunate to have performed the puja for this building and to inaugurate it today. You said Smart City is PM Modi’s dream. Yes, but do you know that the state government also contributes 50 percent of the funding for Smart City projects? The foundation stone for this project was laid in 2015. You were in power for four years. Why didn’t your government complete this project then? If the funds had been utilized then, it wouldn’t have taken so long,” Siddaramaiah asserted.

He credited senior Congress leader Ramanath Rai for the realization of ‘Praja Soudha’, stating that Rai had persistently demanded a new office for the district administration. “Ramanath Rai was the one who insisted on this project. Know your history. Don’t distort it. Let’s do politics, but not in the realm of development,” Siddaramaiah said, drawing cheers from party workers present at the venue.

The Chief Minister also used the occasion to appeal for peace and harmony in Dakshina Kannada district. “Ours is a garden of peace for all communities, a society where humans love one another. Let’s strengthen this spirit and move toward social justice. Let’s ensure that no communal tensions arise in this district, which is home to some of the most intelligent people in the state,” he said.

Fulfilling pre-election promises, Siddaramaiah announced that a new medical college has been sanctioned for Puttur. A 250-bed hospital is already under construction, and an additional 250.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Mangaluru and Dakshina Kannada in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Mangaluru.


Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.

A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.

It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.

As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."

"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.

The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.

The court listed the matter for hearing next week.

Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.

The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.

In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.

The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.

The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.

The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.

Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.

On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.

The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.

The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.