Mangaluru (Karnataka), Jul 1(PTI): A murder accused who had been absconding for nearly three years after his bail was cancelled by the Supreme Court was arrested near Mangaluru, police said on Tuesday.

The accused was arrested on June 30 and produced before the magistrate today, following which he was sent to judicial custody, they said.

According to police, the accused, Mohammad Mustafa alias Musta, had earlier obtained bail from the Karnataka High Court in 2020 in connection with a daylight murder that took place near Mulki Vijay Sannidhi Highway.

However, the Supreme Court cancelled his bail on April 22, 2022, following which he allegedly fled abroad using a fake passport.

Mustafa is accused of involvement in the murder of Abdul Latif, who was killed on June 5, 2020, allegedly by a group of ten persons. A charge sheet was filed, and the case is currently under trial.

Police sources stated that Mustafa had escaped to Oman using forged documents and illegally re-entered India via Nepal in April 2024. A special team tracked him down and apprehended him on June 30 near his native village of Pakshikere in Mulki taluk.

Separate cases have been registered against him under various sections for illegal immigration, use of forged documents, and absconding from trial.

Police also confirmed that he faces a total of nine criminal cases across multiple districts, including Mangaluru, Chikkamagaluru, and Udupi.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Mangaluru and Dakshina Kannada in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Mangaluru.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."