Shivamogga: Karnataka Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao has said that the government is making necessary preparations to form a special task force in Dakshina Kannada to tackle rising communal tensions and maintain peace in the region.
Speaking to the media in Shivamogga on Tuesday, the Minister stated that the formation of a special task force had already been proposed earlier by the State Home Minister. “All arrangements are underway to set up this task force,” he said, adding that there is also a pressing need to establish an anti-communal force to combat divisive ideologies and ensure harmony in society.
“Communalism is breaking society apart. It is not possible to deploy police near every household, which is why there needs to be a strong legal and social pushback against communal forces,” Gundu Rao said. Referring to recent incidents in Dakshina Kannada, he noted that some individuals had delivered provocative speeches, and cases had already been filed against them. “Most of these hate speeches are being made by those associated with the Sangh Parivar,” he alleged.
He expressed concern over the impact such incidents are having on the region’s image. “Who will come to travel, invest, or do business in Dakshina Kannada if such events continue to happen?” he questioned, pointing out that the region risks long-term economic and social damage if communal activities are not curbed.
When asked about Bajrang Dal leader Sharan Pumpwell’s call for a bandh, Gundu Rao said those who instigate unrest will face consequences. “They hide under the cover of Hindutva and think violence is justified when someone is killed. They use Hindutva to carry out activities that are unacceptable. These elements also have links with sand smugglers and rowdy elements. This is the reality,” he remarked.
He reaffirmed that Section 144 prohibitory orders are already in force in parts of Dakshina Kannada and warned that the government will not hesitate to take stricter action in the coming days. “The government and police will act firmly. It is inevitable,” he said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Shillong (PTI): The Meghalaya assembly session for February 20, during which the state budget is scheduled to be presented, could be adjourned as a mark of respect to Shillong MP Ricky A J Syngkon, who died on Thursday evening, Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma said.
Syngkon reportedly collapsed while playing futsal on the outskits of the city, and doctors at a private hospital declared him dead around 8:45 pm.
"We have discussed with Deputy Chief Minister and in-charge of Parliamentary Affairs, Prestone Tynsong, and we will have a meeting tomorrow with the Business Advisory Committee (BAC) headed by the Speaker," Sangma told PTI.
ALSO READ: US-India partnership has critical role to play to make AI benefits available to everyone: Pichai
"I have communicated to the Deputy CM that it would be appropriate for the government not to go ahead with the proceedings of the House tomorrow. Even though tomorrow is the day we are supposed to present the budget, it will make absolute sense and a mark of respect to the departed soul if we were to postpone even the presentation of the budget," he said.
Sangma expressed shock over the sudden demise of Syngkon, recalling their recent meeting in Delhi where they discussed development plans for Meghalaya.
"I had met Syngkon about two weeks back in Delhi... that was the last meeting and conversation I had with him," the CM said.
Sangma recalled Syngkon's commitment and passion for the people of Khasi and Jaintia Hills, describing his demise as a "great loss for the state".
"Syngkon served the people with humility, vision and a sincere desire to uplift society. I express my deepest condolences to the family of late Ricky Syngkon, and I pray to the Almighty that he gives strength to the family members as well as his supporters and party leaders to bear the huge loss," the chief minister added.
