Mangaluru: In the case that created widespread attention in Puttur, where a man allegedly refused to marry a woman after she gave birth to his child, the naming ceremony of the baby scheduled for January 24 has been postponed following renewed attempts at a compromise.

Speaking at a press conference at the Mangaluru Press Club, Backward Classes Commission member Pratibha Kulai said the naming ceremony was earlier fixed to be held in Kalladka on January 24. However, the event has now been put on hold after the young man’s family reportedly conveyed their willingness to consider marriage and sought time for discussions.

According to Pratibha Kulai, the child’s grandmother, Namita, received a phone call from Madhu Acharya, an office-bearer of the Acharya Community Udupi Federation, stating that Krishna J. Rao’s family was ready to agree to the marriage. The family also requested that the naming ceremony be postponed and sought additional time for reconciliation. Accepting this request, the family agreed to defer the ceremony.

Pratibha Kulai, however, said the family had been misled earlier for nearly six months and warned that this time there would be no room for further delays. She made it clear that if the marriage does not take place by January 31, the child’s naming ceremony will be held on February 7, after which no further compromise will be entertained.

She said the woman’s family had rejected a condition that only Namita and her daughter should come for reconciliation talks, citing safety concerns. Pratibha Kulai added that she and another activist, Nanjundi, would not attend any private meeting and insisted that any reconciliation should take place either at the Puttur Police Station or in the presence of the Mangaluru Superintendent of Police.

Pratibha Kulai further stated that even the Puttur MLA had said that Krishna J. Rao’s family was not agreeable to the marriage. Since the matter is already before the court, she expressed suspicion that the current move could be an attempt to escape legal proceedings. She alleged that earlier demands had included withdrawing the case, giving the child to an ashram, and even seeking divorce after marriage.

She stressed that the marriage should be conducted legally, whether online or otherwise, to bring the matter to a lawful conclusion. If the couple does not wish to live together after marriage, they may seek divorce through legal means, she said.

Pratibha Kulai clarified that Namita had not participated in public meetings due to conditions imposed on her not to attend gatherings. She reiterated that if the marriage does not take place by January 31, the naming ceremony will be conducted on February 7 in a grand manner, and the legal fight will continue.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): French President Emmanuel Macron, along with First Lady Brigitte Macron, left Mumbai for New Delhi on Wednesday after concluding his engagements here, including bilateral talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

They were seen off at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport by Maharashtra Governor Acharya Devvrat, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Deputy CM Eknath Shinde.

On Tuesday, Macron held discussions with Modi as part of efforts to further strengthen India-France strategic ties.

During the Mumbai visit, the French president and his wife also met some of India's top filmmakers and actors, and had an animated exchange with them about cinema, culture and collaboration.

President Macron is on an official visit to India from February 17 to 19 at the invitation of PM Modi to participate in the AI Impact Summit hosted by India in the national capital Delhi, besides the bilateral summit in Mumbai.

PM Modi will inaugurate the summit on February 19. As many as 20 heads of states, including French President Macron, will be present at the inaugural session, Electronics and IT Secretary S Krishnan said.