Mangaluru: The redevelopment works of Mangaluru Junction Railway Station under the Amrit Bharat Station Scheme (ABSS) is in its final stages, with the project cost now estimated at Rs 15.80 crore, up from the initial budget of Rs 10.58 crore, according to the Palakkad Division of Southern Railway.

As part of the upgrade, the station now features a new entrance arch and a widened approach road with a footpath, kerb wall, and a minor bridge to enhance connectivity, as reported by The Hindu.

The station building facade has been modernised with Glass Fibre Reinforced Concrete (GFRC) panels, and new sunshade elevations. A new porch has also been added at the terminal building.

The redevelopment focuses on improving passenger amenities, accessibility, and overall infrastructure at the station. The roofing of the station building and crew booking office has been replaced with Mangaluru tile-pattern ceramic tiles, while old windows have been swapped for uPVC (Unplasticised polyvinyl chloride) units. The booking office and concourse have been upgraded for improved passenger convenience.

Significant work has also been undertaken on the platforms, including 1,450 sqm of Kota stone flooring, 650 sqm of coping tile work, and the installation of 17 new platform shelters—10 on Platform 1 and 7 on Platform 2.

Additional infrastructure includes a new parcel office building, a waiting hall, and the development of the second floor of the crew booking office. The circulating and parking areas have been improved with RCC (Reinforced Cement Concrete) and RR (Random Rubble) retaining walls to support expansion, added the report.

Extensive electrical, plumbing, and telecommunication works were also undertaken, covering the parcel office, waiting hall, booking office, concourse, porch, and station building façade. Tile work on the stairways of the Foot Over Bridge has also been finished.

The Palakkad Division of Southern Railway said that the remaining minor works will be completed soon, giving Mangaluru Junction Railway Station a modern look and upgraded passenger facilities.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".