Mangaluru: Dakshina Kannada District In-charge Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao has said that extraction of sand will soon be permitted in six blocks of non-coastal regulatory zones (non-CRZ) of the district.
The minister told reporters in the city on Wednesday that 11 sand blocks in the zones had been identified by District Sand Monitoring Committee and tenders were floated for up to six blocks based on the approval of a panel, according to a report by The Hindu.
Stating that tenders will be called for the remaining five blocks soon, Rao said that officials had been directed not only to speed up the process but also identify more sand blocks in the zones soon.
When asked about extracting sand from CRZ, Rao clarified that the government required clearance from the Ministry of Environment and Forests to take action, but added that he had directed district officials to prepare a proposal to pursue the matter with the Central government.
He also stressed that the government had no tolerance for illegal extraction of sand and laterite stone, adding that the legal framework would be worked out in the two months of monsoon as there would be low demand for both sand and laterite stone during the period.
The minister further said that laterite stone traders had brought to his notice that people preferred to get the stone from Kerala as royalties and other charges for the stone were lower in the neighbouring state. He added that officials concerned had been told to submit a proposal to make it easier for traders to extract laterite stone in Karnataka.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.
Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.
However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.
"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.
The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.
"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.
With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.
"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."
Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.
"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.
"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."
