Udupi: The State will submit a Rs 850 crore proposal to the Union government for the overall development of the Malpe fishing harbour, Karnataka Minister Mankal S. Vaidya announced while laying the foundation stone for a Rs 12.52 crore modernisation project of the harbour under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY).

“If the Union government does not consider the proposal, the State government will finance the proposed project,” The Hindu quoted Vaidya, state's Minister for Fisheries, Ports and Inland Water Transport, as saying.

Vaidya noted that Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) rules continue to hinder coastal development in Karnataka, preventing the implementation of projects worth Rs 2,034 crore. He stressed the need for CRZ norms in the state to be aligned with those in other states, where such regulations do not pose a barrier to coastal infrastructure and development initiatives.

Speaking at the event, Udupi-Chikkamagaluru MP Kota Srinivas Poojary said the PMMSY has revitalised the fisheries sector, enabling the implementation of several projects that benefit fishing communities nationwide. He urged the state government to prioritise dredging of estuaries and upgrading fisheries jetties to ensure year-round navigability and the safety of fishing vessels.

The Rs 12.52 crore modernisation project will focus on enhancing sanitation and water supply at the harbour, upgrading fish handling capacity, and strengthening security at the port, The Hindu quoted fisheries and ports officials as saying.

A reliable water supply and improved handling facilities are expected to speed up auctions and vessel turnarounds, while upgraded wastewater systems will help tackle long-standing issues of odour and contamination at the harbour.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".