Bengaluru, Mar 24 (PTI): Amid the honey trap controversy, Leader of Opposition in the Karnataka Assembly R Ashoka on Monday accused the Congress government of "tapping" the phones of key state leaders, including ministers and ruling party MLAs.
According to him, several ruling party legislators have also admitted to this.
The BJP leader alleged that the state government was resorting to phone tapping to control both its internal opponents and opposition parties.
"It’s happening 100 per cent. Don’t doubt it. If they need to send ‘her,’ ministers have to be tracked, and for that, phones have to be tapped. This government is fully engaged in phone tapping," Ashoka told reporters.
He cited "honey trap" attempts, echoing claims by ministers and MLAs.
Ashoka added that he and Union Minister for Steel and Heavy Industries H D Kumaraswamy had previously alleged phone tapping.
Now, even ruling party MLAs claim their phones are being tapped, further substantiating the accusation.
"The government is trying to control its opponents, whether from the ruling party or the opposition. My phone, along with those of all opposition MLAs, is being tapped. This has been happening ever since Congress came to power," he claimed.
Minister K N Rajanna told the Assembly that 48 legislators had fallen victim, with the network operating statewide.
Reacting to these allegations, Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar advised Ashoka to file a police complaint.
"If he wants, let him file a police complaint," he said.
Meanwhile, State Home Minister G Parameshwara stated that he had not received any complaints so far.
"We haven’t received any complaint yet. We will act immediately if we receive one. After you raised this issue, I verified it, but so far, no police station has received such a complaint," he told reporters.
He added that if a complaint is lodged and an investigation begins, the government will take action.
Parameshwara also acknowledged that intelligence agencies conduct surveillance but emphasised that there must be a valid reason and government approval for such actions.
He further claimed that neither he nor Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had received any complaints regarding phone tapping.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, Apr 4 (PTI): Seven women farm labourers, two of them aged 18, died and three others were rescued after a tractor-trolley ferrying them to an agriculture field plunged into a well in Nanded district of Maharashtra on Friday morning, an official said.
The accident occurred at around 7.30 am in Asegaon village which lies under jurisdiction of Limbgaon police station when the vehicle veered off the road and fell into the well filled to the brim with water, said District Information Officer (DIO) Pravin Take said.
Police and local administration officials immediately launched a rescue operation and pumped out a large amount of water from the well, he said.
At the end of the operation, bodies of seven women were fished out of the well, while three others were rescued, said the DIO.
"The woman were on their way to harvest turmeric at a farm. All those who died hailed from Gunj village under Vasmat tehsil in Hingoli district," the official said.
The deceased were identified as Tarabai Satwaji Jadhav (35), Dhrupata Satwaji Jadhav (18), Saraswati Lakhan Burad (25), Simran Santosh Kamble (18), Chaitrabai Madhav Pardhe (45), Jyoti Irabaji Saraode (35), Sapna Tukaram Raut (25), he said.
Three other women farm labourers - Parvatibai Burad (35), Purbhabai Kamble (40), Satwaji Jadhav (55) -- were rescued from the water body.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled the loss of lives in the accident and announced ex gratia of Rs 2 lakh from PM's National Relief Fund (PMNRF) to the next of kin of each deceased.
The injured will be given Rs 50,000 each, he said.
"Saddened by the loss of lives in an accident in Nanded, Maharashtra. Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones. May the injured recover soon. The local administration is assisting those affected," the Prime Minister said.
Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis expressed grief over the death of farm labourers and separately announced a financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh to the family of each deceased.
"Some women died in an accident in Asegaon, Nanded district, this morning when a tractor trolley carrying 11 women labourers fell into a well. I pay my heartfelt tributes to them. These women were from Gunjgaon, Hingoli district, and were going for agricultural work," he posted on X.
"The families of the deceased will be given a financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh each from the Chief Minister's Relief Fund," he declared.
"Three women were rescued safely. We are in touch with both Hingoli and Nanded administrations," the CM said.
Later, talking to reporters, Fadnavis said an inquiry has been ordered into the accident and steps will be taken to ensure such incidents do not recur.
नांदेडमध्ये भीषण अपघात; शेतमजूरांचा ट्रॅक्टर विहिरीत कोसळला, नऊ जण दगावले#Nanded #accident pic.twitter.com/FgOvNSlKEe
— Lokmat (@lokmat) April 4, 2025