Bengaluru: Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has stated that the government will not remain silent if anyone takes the law into their own hands, causing trouble for the public. He was responding to recent protests by the Panchamasali community demanding reservations under Category 2A.

While acknowledging the right of the Panchamasali community to protest and seek reservations, Siddaramaiah emphasised that protests should be peaceful and within the boundaries of the law. He stressed that the law applies equally to everyone, including Swamijis, and no one is above it. According to Article 14 of the Constitution, all individuals are equal before the law, and they are entitled to equal protection under it.

Referring to the recent clashes during protests at Suvarna Soudha, the BJP alleged that the police had pelted stones at the Panchamasali community members. However, Siddaramaiah refuted this claim, saying that there is evidence to show that BJP members were responsible for stone-throwing and breaching barricades. He questioned why the Swamijis were sitting on the road and how over 20 police officers would be injured if the protesters did not throw stones.

Siddaramaiah further explained that the Panchamasali community members should approach the Backward Classes Commission for the permanent status of their reservation. He mentioned that during the BJP regime, the then-chairman of the Commission, Jayaprakash Hegde, had recommended that Categories 2A and 2B should remain as they are, with no new additions, and the 4% reservation under Category 2B should not be revoked.

He pointed out that during the BJP's tenure, there were no protests, but now the same BJP is supporting the ongoing struggle. Referring to the Muslim 4% reservation, which was removed, Siddaramaiah noted that during the BJP regime, a 2% reservation for the Okkaligas under Category 3A and Lingayats under Category 3B was provided. This move was questioned in court by a Muslim individual, Rasool, who challenged the changes. Siddaramaiah added that the BJP government had assured that there would be no changes to reservations back then.

The Chief Minister reiterated that the Panchamasali community had previously stated that their protest would be peaceful, but there was an attempt to take the law into their own hands. He clarified that three ministers, including Mahadeveppa, were sent to the protest site to ensure peace.

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.

The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.

Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.

District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.

Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."

The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.

Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."

"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.

Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.

"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.