New Delhi (PTI): With a Delhi court accepting the Enforcement Directorate's (ED) closure report in a case related to the 2010 Commonwealth Games, the Congress on Monday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi and AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal must apologise to it and the people of India for misleading the country.
Congress general secretary in-charge communications Jairam Ramesh said before 2014, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) convenor Kejriwal and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had come together to "fabricate scams" like 2G and Commonwealth Games (CWG) to defame his party.
"Two very honest and dedicated leaders -- Dr Manmohan Singh and Mrs Sheila Dixit -- were falsely accused," he said in a post in Hindi on X.
The truth of 2G had already come out in court and on Monday, the court accepted the ED's closure report in the CWG case as well, Ramesh said.
"It is clear -- both the allegations were false! Narendra Modi and Arvind Kejriwal must apologise to the Congress and the people of India for misleading the country. Satyameva Jayate!" he said.
Congress's media and publicity department head Pawan Khera alleged that for years, the BJP ecosystem weaponised lies to tarnish the grand old party over issues like 2G, CWG, Robert Vadra and coal.
The truth stands tall and their falsehoods lie in ruins, he said in a post on X.
"These cases were never about justice; they were about political persecution, headlines over substance, and deflecting attention from their own failures," Khera said.
"The collapse of these manufactured cases is not just a legal victory, it is a moral and political indictment of the BJP's politics of false narrative. Truth does not shout from TV studios, it asserts itself quietly, powerfully, and inevitably," he added.
Will the prime minister apologise to the nation, the Congress leader asked.
Khera also asked whether Kejriwal would apologise to the people of Delhi.
A Delhi court on Monday accepted the ED's closure report in a money-laundering case against Suresh Kalmadi, the head of the organising committee of the 2010 CWG, its secretary general Lalit Bhanot and others.
The acceptance of the closure report brought to an end the money-laundering angle in the alleged scam, which took place 15 years ago.
The allegations of corruption in conducting the 2010 CWG triggered a huge political uproar in the country, leading to several criminal and money-laundering cases, including the present one, being filed.
Kalmadi and others were accused of misconduct in the award and execution of two important contracts for the games.
Special judge Sanjeev Aggarwal noted that the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had already closed the corruption case, based on which the ED started its money-laundering probe.
The judge took note of the ED's submission that the offence of money-laundering could not be proved during its investigation.
"Since during the investigations, the prosecution has failed to make out an offence under section 3 (money-laundering) of the PMLA (Prevention of Money Laundering Act) ... as no offence under section 3 of the PMLA has been made out or has been committed, despite discreet investigations by the ED, therefore, there is no reason to continue with the present ECIR. As a consequence, the closure report filed by the ED stands accepted," the judge said.
The sole money-laundering investigation was initiated by the ED on the basis of the case lodged by the CBI.
The CBI filed its closure report in January 2014, saying "no incriminating evidence surfaced during the investigation in the matter" and the allegations in the FIR could not be substantiated against the accused.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The government has promulgated an ordinance to increase the strength of the Supreme Court from the present 34 judges to 38, including the Chief Justice of India.
The law ministry notified the ordinance on Saturday, which amended the Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Act, 1956, to increase the sanctioned strength of the top court.
So far, the sanctioned strength of the top court was 34, including the Chief Justice of India (CJI). Now, the number of judges has been increased by four, taking the sanctioned strength to 38.
The top court will now have 37 judges, other than the CJI.
With the apex court having two vacancies at present, and the ordinance coming into force immediately, the Supreme Court Collegium will now have to recommend six names for appointment as judges in the top court.
A bill will be brought in the Monsoon Session of Parliament to convert the ordinance – an executive order – into a law passed by Parliament.
The Union Cabinet had cleared a draft bill on May 5 to increase the number of apex court judges.
The strength of the Supreme Court was last increased from 30 to 33 (excluding the CJI) in 2019.
The Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Act, as originally enacted in 1956, put the maximum number of judges (excluding the CJI) at 10.
This number was increased to 13 by the Supreme Court (Number of Judges), Amendment Act, 1960, and to 17 by another amendment to the law.
The Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Amendment Act, 1986, augmented the strength of judges from 17 to 25, excluding the CJI.
A fresh amendment in 2009 further increased the strength from 25 to 30.
Article 124(3) of the Constitution lists the qualifications required to become a Supreme Court judge.
An Indian citizen who has either served as a high court judge for at least five years, or as an advocate for 10 years, or is a distinguished jurist, can be appointed to the top court.
The strength of the Supreme Court is increased based on the recommendations of the CJI, who writes to the Union law minister. After consulting the finance ministry, the Department of Justice under the law ministry moves the Cabinet with a draft bill.
