Bengaluru: Three construction workers were killed, and at least ten others were feared trapped under the debris after a four-storied under-construction building collapsed here on Thursday, officials said.
"Three men were killed and 11 others injured after the building in Kasavanahalli (suburb) crashed down at around 4 p.m.," Home Minister Ramalinga Reddy told media here.
"The number of those still trapped under the debris is unclear. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel will continue to carry out rescue operations," he said.
State fire services personnel estimate at least ten others to be still caught under the debris.
Out of the 11 injured, four suffered minor injuries, while seven were hospitalized.
"The building seems to have been constructed using poor quality material due to which we suspect the crash occurred. Police are on the lookout for the building owner, Rafiq," the Minister said.
The building was at least six years old and was under renovation, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Whitefield division, Abdul Ahad told the media here.
The exact reason for the collapse and the details of the workers are yet to be ascertained, he said.
Bengaluru Development Minister K.J. George, Karnataka Director General of Fire and Emergency Services M.N. Reddi and senior police and civic body officials inspected the premises of the collapsed building.
"The government will give Rs 5 lakh compensation to each of the families of the deceased," George said.
In October last year, five men and two women were killed as a building collapsed in the city's southern suburb of Ejipura after a cooking gas cylinder exploded.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi, Apr 3 (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddarmaiah and Deputy CM D K Shivakumar met Union Jal Shakti Minister C R Patil on Thursday to seek approval for the Mekedatu and Upper Bhadra projects.
In the meeting, Siddarmaiah informed that Karnataka has the second largest dryland area in the country after Rajasthan. The irrigation projects taken up and being implemented in Karnataka have played a vital role in transforming agricultural landscape.
Siddarmaiah urged the Union minister to intervene in the matter and direct officials concerned to provide necessary clearances and approvals for the projects, according to the letter submitted to the Union minister.
The Mekedatu project, proposed near Kanakapura in Ramanagar district, aims to build 66 TMC (thousand million cubic feet) balancing reservoir. The project faces opposition from Tamil Nadu, a low riparian state, which claims it will obstruct the natural flow of Cauvery River water.
The Upper Bhadra project is designed to support irrigation in drought-prone regions of central Karnataka, covering districts like Chikkamagaluru, Chitradurga, Tumakuru and Davangere. The project's progress is hindered by the lack of funding and the delay in declaring it a 'national project'.
Both projects face significant challenges, including funding issues and inter-state disputes.
Union Minister of State for Jal Shakti V Somanna and other senior officials were also present in the meeting.