A video that is now going viral on X and Youtube sheds light on the contrasting realities of Varanasi, a city Prime Minister Narendra Modi once promised to transform into a "Kyoto-like" urban center.

Marc Travels, a YouTuber with approximately 216,000 subscribers has shared his candid impressions of the city in his travel vlog and shared it on Youtube.

The clip has then been shared by many on X.

Marc's experience in Varanasi was less than ideal, as he described the city as "the dirtiest" he had encountered in India.

He noted that Varanasi seemed to epitomize the image of India often portrayed in Western media—a stark contrast to his positive experiences in the southern parts of the country, which he found modern and impressive.

"To be quite honest, when I came here, Varanasi felt like a little bit of the India that is promoted in Western TV," Marc remarked.

He further said that his overall picture of India, particularly the South, remained positive and modern, an impression that couldn't be altered despite his experience in Varanasi. He acknowledged the city's chaotic nature, calling it "hectic" and "extreme."

In his vlog's description, Marc reflected on his months-long journey through India, expressing gratitude for the diverse experiences and memories he gained.

However, he singled out Varanasi as an intense visit due to a bout of food poisoning he suffered there. Despite this, he appreciated the opportunity to see this side of India, which he mentioned he typically only knew from Western portrayals of the country.

Prime Minister Modi's 2014 announcement to transform Varanasi into a city akin to Kyoto has faced scrutiny and criticism.

Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has often mocked Modi's promises, pointing out the lack of significant changes in Varanasi.

During the debate on the Motion of Thanks to the President's address last month, Akhilesh questioned the progress in the villages adopted by Modi, alleging they saw no growth.

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): French President Emmanuel Macron, along with First Lady Brigitte Macron, left Mumbai for New Delhi on Wednesday after concluding his engagements here, including bilateral talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

They were seen off at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport by Maharashtra Governor Acharya Devvrat, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Deputy CM Eknath Shinde.

On Tuesday, Macron held discussions with Modi as part of efforts to further strengthen India-France strategic ties.

During the Mumbai visit, the French president and his wife also met some of India's top filmmakers and actors, and had an animated exchange with them about cinema, culture and collaboration.

President Macron is on an official visit to India from February 17 to 19 at the invitation of PM Modi to participate in the AI Impact Summit hosted by India in the national capital Delhi, besides the bilateral summit in Mumbai.

PM Modi will inaugurate the summit on February 19. As many as 20 heads of states, including French President Macron, will be present at the inaugural session, Electronics and IT Secretary S Krishnan said.