Boston, US: The first American academic conference on ‘Dismantling Global Hindutva’ is being widely targeted by right-wing activists in India and elsewhere. The three-day conference is scheduled to take place from September 10-12.
Cosponsored by departments and centers of more than 53 universities, most of them from the US, including Harvard, Stanford, and Princeton, the “Dismantling Global Hindutva” conference will discuss various issues relating to the Hindu supremacist ideology in India and elsewhere, an Al-Jazeera report stated.
Various panels on global Hindutva, caste oppression, Islamophobia, and the persecution of minorities in India, will be held during the conference and will feature more than 25 academicians, activists, and journalists as speakers.
Over the past three weeks, the organizers and speakers of the conference have been on a receiving end of harassment and intimidation by various Hindu right-wing groups and individuals staunchly opposing the conference, calling it a “Hinduphobic gathering”.
The organizers insist the conference only aims to discuss the global implications of Hindutva and develop resources for an anti-Hindutva pedagogy in the academy, the Al-Jazeera report further stated.
Hindu Janajagruti Samiti, a far-right group whose members are accused of assassinating journalist-activist Gauri Lankesh in 2017, also wrote to India’s Union Home Minister Amit Shah, calling on him to take action against India-based speakers and participants of the conference.
Nandani Sundar, who is set to take part in the conference as a speaker said she has been receiving hateful emails and was trolled on Twitter.
“This is what Hindutva groups have been doing in India – shutting down seminars by threatening the organizers, physical disruption, etc. Now they are doing the same thing globally,” Sundar was quoted as saying by Al-Jazeera.
Over the past three weeks, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad of America (VHPA), the Coalition of Hindus in North America (CoHNA), and the Hindu American Foundation (HAF) claim to have collectively sent more than 1.3 million emails to dozens of universities to withdraw their support for the conference.
David Ludden, professor of history at New York University, one of the co-sponsoring schools, acknowledged receiving thousands of emails but says his department will not back out.
“Administrators did receive emails claiming that the conference represents an anti-Hindu ideology. They reached out to me and I explained that this is an academic conference aimed at expanding the production of knowledge about Hindutva, including a critical analysis of its claim to represent Hindus, Hinduism, and Indian culture,” Ludden was quoted by Al Jazeera.
“The campaign against the conference is meant to both shut down the conference and send a clear signal to all critics of Hindutva,” conference organizers told Al Jazeera in an emailed statement.
Last week, more than 50 South Asian diaspora organizations, 937 academics from across the world, including scholars of genocide and mass violence, issued a statement in support of the conference and called for an end to the Hindu right-wing attacks on academic freedom.
“The campaign of intimidation carried out by Hindutva affiliates cannot be allowed to take root in the academy in the US, Europe, or around the world. Free speech must be protected,” said the statement.
Dr. Audrey Truschke, Associate Professor of South Asian history at Rutgers University-Newark wrote a detailed thread on Twitter about the whole situation.
“We are watching as right-wing Hindu American groups harass, intimidate, and endanger academics, including students. What you're doing is beyond unacceptable. It is unethical, hate-mongering, and very, very dangerous. Stop. Now.” She wrote in one of her tweets from the thread.
She also explained how groups should react to the rise of Hindutva who are promoting intolerance in the name of Hinduism.
We are watching as right-wing Hindu American groups harass, intimidate, and endanger academics, including students.
— Dr. Audrey Truschke (@AudreyTruschke) September 5, 2021
What you're doing is beyond unacceptable. It is unethical, hate mongering, and very, very dangerous. Stop. Now. #Hindutva
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Gurugram (PTI): The Gurugram Cyber Police has arrested three men for allegedly providing calling support to a Chinese fraud syndicate, officials said on Wednesday.
According to the officials, a 20-port physical SIM box and a laptop were seized from them. These arrests come after a woman from Nagaland was held in connection with the same case.
The arrested accused have been identified as Karma (32) from Nagaland, and Lobsang Tsultim (33) and Ngawang Gyaltsen (35), both from Himachal Pradesh. Karma and Tsultim were arrested on February 14. Gyaltsen was intercepted on February 16 near Majnu Ka Tila in Delhi while attempting to flee to Nepal.
Police said the accused, during questioning, revealed that they were using SIM boxes to facilitate fraudulent calls targeting Indian citizens.
Karma and Lobsang Tsultim admitted to installing virtual SIM boxes in Gurugram on the instructions of a Chinese national named Tsega, they said.
These setups, which included 20 mobile phones, were capable of making over 20,000 calls a day. Tsega, allegedly used an application to contact Indian citizens for various crimes, including gaming and investment fraud, they said.
Tsultim and Gyaltsen were born in China and have lived in India as refugees for 15 years. Fluent in Chinese and Taiwanese, they communicated with Tsega via WeChat, a platform banned in India since 2020, they added.
ACP Cyber Priyanshu Dewan said the three accused were produced in court on Wednesday and have been sent to judicial custody.
"We are working to identify others involved in the network," he added.
