London, Jul 11 (PTI): Jasprit Bumrah’s five-wicket haul and Joe Root’s sublime century set up an absorbing contest before KL Rahul's composed unbeaten 53 guided India to 145 for three at stumps on day two of the third Test against England at Lord’s on Friday.

At stumps, India trailed by 242 runs with Rahul and Rishabh Pant (19 batting) at the crease.

Bumrah (5/74) dismantled England’s middle and lower order to claim his second successive five-wicket haul and 15th overall, as the hosts were bowled out for 387 after resuming the day on 251/4.

Root anchored the innings with a composed 104 off 199 balls -- his 37th Test century -- while No 9 Brydon Carse (56) and keeper-batter Jamie Smith (51) staged a crucial lower-order fightback as the last three England partnership was worth 84 runs.

In reply, India started brightly but lost Yashasvi Jaiswal (13) early with Jofra Archer’s dismissing him in the third ball of his Test comeback after nearly four years.

Rahul held firm with a patient unbeaten 53 (113 balls) adding 61 runs with Karun Nair, who made 40 before falling to a spectacular diving catch by Root at slip -- his record 211th in Tests, surpassing Rahul Dravid’s 210 for the most catches by a fielder in men’s Tests.

Captain Shubman Gill (16) fell just two runs short of overtaking Dravid’s record for most runs by an India batter (602) in a Test series in England.

A defensive push off Chris Woakes found the edge, with Smith standing close taking a sharp catch behind the stumps in a key moment of the match.

The five-match series is tied one-all after India bounced back to win the second Test at Edgbaston by 336 runs.

Brief Scores:

England 1st Innings: 387 (Root 104, Carse 56, Smith 51; Bumrah 5/74).

India 1st Innings: 145/3 in 43 overs (KL Rahul 53 batting, Karun Nair 40).

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Karachi (PTI): At least 16 people, including many children, were killed and 14 others injured when a suspected gas leakage led to an explosion in a residential building in Pakistan's Karachi on Thursday morning.

“The explosion took place around 4:30 am on the first floor of the building located in the Old Soldier Bazar area when everyone was awake for Sehri time,” police official Jamshed Asher said.

The first day of Ramzan is being observed in Pakistan today.

The police official said that the reason for the explosion apparently was a gas leakage.

ALSO READ:  IIT-Madras to establish applied AI innovation centre in Dubai

Due to gas shortage in Pakistan’s biggest city, many families especially in lower income residential areas use liquid petroleum gas cylinders at their homes.

Police surgeon Dr Samaiya Syed confirmed that they have received 14 bodies so far from the blast site while 14 injured are under treatment.

The explosion caused a part of the building structure to collapse due to its dilapidated condition.

“We are still searching through the rubble and debris to see if there are any more bodies or survivors,” Chief Fire Officer Humayun Khan said.

The deceased include at least nine children aged between two and 17 while the injured also include seven children.

This is the second major tragedy to occur in Karachi. Last month, a fire broke out in the basement of the Gul Shopping Plaza, a wholesale and retail market, in the Saddar area killing at least 79 people and leaving scores injured.