Manchester, Jul 22 (PTI): India captain Shubman Gill on Tuesday slammed the delaying tactic used by the England openers towards end of day three of the Lord's Test, saying coming 90 seconds late to the crease was not within the spirt of the game.

Speaking ahead of the fourth Test in Manchester, Gill ended the customary pre-match media interaction on an explosive note when asked about the on-field tensions during the third game.

The question has been a constant from the English press to both the Indian and the home team players following the aggression shown by both parties at Lord's.

"Yes, a lot of people have been talking about it, so let me just clear the air, for once and for all, the English batsmen on that day, they had seven minutes of play left, they were 90 seconds late to come to the crease, not 10, not 20, 90 seconds late," said a combative Gill.

"Yes, most of the teams they use this (delaying tactic), even if we were in a position, we would have also liked to play lesser overs, but there is a manner to do it, and we felt, yes if you get hit on your body, the physios are allowed to come on, and that is something that is fair.

"But to be able to come 90 seconds late on the crease, is not something that I would think, comes in the way of spirit of the game," he added.

Bumrah had bowled the last over on day three and sarcastically clapped at Crawley for delaying the game right before stumps. Words were also exchanged between Indian players and Duckett at the other end.

In his first series as Test captain, Gill too was fired up and asked Crawley to show some guts.

"Just leading up to that event, a lot of things that, we thought should not have happened, it had happened, and it's not, I wouldn't say it was something that I am very proud of, but there was a lead-up and build-up to that, it didn't just come out of nowhere, and we had no intention of doing that whatsoever," Gill went on.

"But it is just, you are playing a game, you are playing to win, and there are a lot of emotions involved, and when you see there are things happening, that should not happen, sometimes the emotions come out of nowhere," added Gill.

Minutes before Gill's pre-match press conference, England captain Ben Stokes had said that his team won't hold back if they get verbal volleys from the Indian team.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Karachi (PTI): At least 16 people, including many children, were killed and 14 others injured when a suspected gas leakage led to an explosion in a residential building in Pakistan's Karachi on Thursday morning.

“The explosion took place around 4:30 am on the first floor of the building located in the Old Soldier Bazar area when everyone was awake for Sehri time,” police official Jamshed Asher said.

The first day of Ramzan is being observed in Pakistan today.

The police official said that the reason for the explosion apparently was a gas leakage.

ALSO READ:  IIT-Madras to establish applied AI innovation centre in Dubai

Due to gas shortage in Pakistan’s biggest city, many families especially in lower income residential areas use liquid petroleum gas cylinders at their homes.

Police surgeon Dr Samaiya Syed confirmed that they have received 14 bodies so far from the blast site while 14 injured are under treatment.

The explosion caused a part of the building structure to collapse due to its dilapidated condition.

“We are still searching through the rubble and debris to see if there are any more bodies or survivors,” Chief Fire Officer Humayun Khan said.

The deceased include at least nine children aged between two and 17 while the injured also include seven children.

This is the second major tragedy to occur in Karachi. Last month, a fire broke out in the basement of the Gul Shopping Plaza, a wholesale and retail market, in the Saddar area killing at least 79 people and leaving scores injured.