Dubai, Dec 11: Charismatic England batter Joe Root's reign at the top of the ICC Test batting rankings ended on Wednesday with compatriot Harry Brook taking the No.1 spot, while India pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah and spinner Ravindra Jadeja held on to their top positions in the bowlers' and all-rounders' charts respectively in the longest format.

Brook, 25, overtook Root following his eighth Test century against New Zealand in Wellington last week, with the right-handed player now enjoying a slender one-point advantage over his more experienced teammate at the top of the latest ICC rankings.

Brook has a total of 898 rating points, one more than Root, and joins Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar with the equal 34th highest rating of all time for Test batters.

Root had held on to the top spot since July this year when he displaced former New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson from the No.1 position.

Brook scored 123 and 55 in England's massive 323-run victory over New Zealand, while Root had innings of 3 and 106 in the same Test.

"If you asked me, Brooky is by far and away the best player in the world at the minute," Root said following England's victory in Wellington.

"He has such an all-round game, he can absorb pressure, he can apply it, he can whack you over your head for six, he can scoop you over his head for six, he can smack spin, he can smack seam. He's so hard to bowl to."

Bumrah maintained his No.1 position at the top of the Test bowlers' rankings with 890 rating points. The Indian has some tough competition from South Africa quick Kagiso Rabada (856) and Australian pace bowler Josh Hazlewood (851).

Jadeja too maintained his top spot on the Test rankings for all-rounders with 415 rating points, followed distantly by Bangladesh skipper Mehidy Hasan Miraz (285), who gained two places to move to second following his side's series against the West Indies.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Jabalpur (PTI): Tension gripped Sihora town in Madhya Pradesh's Jabalpur district after a clash between Hindu and Muslim groups led to stone-pelting and vandalism, prompting police to lob teargas shells, officials said on Friday. They said 49 people had been arrested so far and efforts are on to nab others involved in the unrest.

The violence erupted around 10 PM on Thursday near Azad Chowk, an area where a Durga temple and a mosque are located in close proximity.

While officials stated the situation is now under control and no injuries were reported, a heavy police presence remains on the ground, and most local shops remained closed on Friday.

Hindu organisations alleged that some miscreants broke the iron gate of the temple while an 'aarti' was being performed and also hurled stones while local Muslim residents said the clash erupted when the special Ramzan prayer and temple aarti were taking place simultaneously.

Superintendent of Police Sampat Upadhyay said that after initial attempts to use "mild force" failed to disperse the crowd, police had to resort to firing eight to ten teargas shells to disperse the unruly mob.

"We are currently not allowing people to roam in the affected area unnecessarily and are using drones to monitor the situation," Upadhyay said.

Additional SP Suryakant Sharma confirmed that 49 people have been arrested so far, with more suspects expected to be identified within 24 hours.

District Collector Raghavendra Singh denied reports that stones were hurled at the temple, as claimed by some Hindu activists and told PTI that "stone-pelting occurred between two groups, leading to the violence, and the situation is currently under control. Curfew will not be imposed."

However, Youth Welfare Minister Vishwas Sarang, speaking from Bhopal, pointed to viral social media footage and said "how stones were collected at the mosque is a matter of investigation. No one has the right to take the law into their own hands."

Deputy Chief Minister Rajendra Shukla said directives have been issued to ensure maintenance of law and order.

Several videos of the clash went viral on social media.

On Friday afternoon, Hindu activists staged a protest outside the Sihora police station, reciting the Hanuman Chalisa and submitting a memorandum demanding the demolition of the houses belonging to those involved in the violence.

Strict action will be taken against those who disrupt law and order, and efforts are being made to maintain harmony by communicating with senior members of both the communities, said SP Upadhyay.

Speaking about how the violence started, local Muslim resident Shabreen told PTI Videos, "Taraweeh prayer was being held at the mosque, and aarti was being performed at the same time. It led to the fight."

Members of the Muslim community had requested that aarti be avoided during Taraweeh prayers, but the situation escalated, she added.

Taraweeh is a special prayer recited during the month of Ramzan.

In a memorandum submitted to the police, Hindu activists accused members of the other group of indulging in vandalism at the temple.

Bajrang Dal district coordinator Kanha Pandey told PTI Videos that this type of stone-pelting incident occurred for the first time in Sihora's history, and its "real masterminds" were different.

Local councillor Arshad Khan termed the clash deplorable.

Some of those arrested were innocent, he said. "Innocent persons should be let off, and those involved in violence must be punished," he added.