Kathmandu, May 15: Sandeep Lamichhane, the globally recognised cricketer from Nepal, has been acquitted of rape charges by Patan High Court in Nepal and is now available to play all forms of domestic and international matches, country's cricket board said in a press release on Wednesday. The 23-year-old faced eight years of imprisonment and half a million rupee fine handed over by a district court after being found guilty of rape in 2022.
Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) president Chatur Bahadur Chand said in a press release that "Honourable High Court of Patan has found Lamichhane innocent and his suspension from domestic and international cricket is lifted."
Leg-spinner Lamichhane has so far played 51 ODIs and 52 T20Is for Nepal with 112 and 98 wickets to his credit.
He has also played in IPL for Delhi Capitals, in Big Bash League for Hobart Hurricanes and for Surrey Jaguars in 'The Hundred'. He last played for Nepal in November in a T20I match against Oman at Kirtipur.
Lamichhane's acquittal means that he will be available to play for Nepal in the upcoming T20 World Cup in the Americas.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.
The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.
The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.
As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.
The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.
