Santiago (PTI): Hina Bano sand Kanika Siwach scored a hat-trick each as India began their Junior Women's Hockey World Cup campaign with a comprehensive 13-0 win against Namibi here on Monday.
Besides Hina (35', 35', 45') and Kanika's (12', 30', 45') strikes, Sakshi Rana (10', 23') scored a brace while Binima Dhan (14'), Sonam (14'), Sakshi Shukla (27'), Ishika (36'), and Manisha (60') also got on the scoresheet.
With this win, India climbed to the top of the table.
India bagged four goals in as many minutes to take control of the game in first quarter. Sakshi opened the scoring with a brilliant reverse flick and Kanika soon doubled their lead with a powerful finish. Binima added a third with a sharp run and finish, while Sonam scored a fourth after some neat interplay in the buildup, giving India a 4-0 lead after the opening fifteen minutes.
With a healthy lead, India continued to dominate as Sakshi scored her second with a superb run that was finished off with a thunderous strike.
Namibia showed some aggression to look for an opening but were constantly kept at bay by the Indian midfielders. India added a sixth as Sakshi converted her dragflick from a penalty corner. Kanika also scored her second goal at the stroke of half-time, extending India's lead to 7-0.
India were firmly in control and continued to stay on top to open the second half. Hina scored her first goal in the tournament with a ferocious strike into the top corner. She soon added another within a minute, capitalising on a loose restart from Namibia.
Ishika added a 10th after a rebound fell her way from a penalty corner. Another kind deflection from a penalty corner fell Hina's way as she completed her hat-trick.
Kanika also registered her third goal from a penalty corner, establishing a 12-0 lead for India after three quarters.
Having made a few changes to begin the final quarter, India continued to create chances with their bench getting an opportunity to make their mark. Manisha then got herself on the scoresheet from penalty corner, completing a 13-0 route for India in their opening game.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
