Dubai (PTI): Asia Cup champions India on Sunday refused to accept the winners' trophy from ACC chairman Mohsin Naqvi, who also happens to be Pakistan's interior minister and chairman of the country's cricket board.
As Naqvi stood on one side for the presentation ceremony to begin, Indian players were standing within 15 yards, refusing to budge from their places and the formalities were being inordinately delayed.
It was learnt that Indian team management asked who was supposed to present the winners' trophy and ACC went into a huddle knowing that their boss wasn't an acceptable name for the champions.
Once Naqvi took the presentation stage, Indian fans in the stands started booing collectively with chants of "Bharat Maata Ki Jai".
Once Naqvi took the dais, he was informed that Indian team won't accept the trophy if he tries to force himself and an official protest would be lodged. As Naqvi waited, suddenly, someone from organisers took the trophy inside the dressing room.
Having not shaken hands with Pakistani players throughout the three Asia Cup games and also avoided the customary pre-toss photoshoot, the Indian team had sent the message to ACC that it won't accept the trophy from the ACC chairman.
In another dramatic development, the Pakistani players didn't emerge out of the dressing room even after an hour since the match had ended with only their chairman stranded and embarrassed, wanting to do the honours as per continental body's protocol.
After nearly 55 minutes, Salman Agha and his teammates emerged out and were greeted with shouts of "Indiaaaa, Indiaaaaa".
It was a foregone conclusion that India won't accept the trophy from Naqvi, who had posted cryptic videos of Cristiano Ronaldo's plane crash gesture celebrations which is a direct reference to the Pakistani claims that six Indian jets were downed during 'Operation Sindoor'.
Naqvi is also behind demanding that ICC charge Surya with a Level 4 offence for standing by the Indian Army and showing solidarity with victims of Pahalgam terror attack.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
