New York (PTI): India’s Koneru Humpy bagged an epochal second World Rapid Chess Championship title, beating Irene Sukandar of Indonesia here on Sunday.

Humpy had won the event back in 2019 at Georgia and the Indian No 1 is only the second player after China’s Ju Wenjun to clinch the title more than once.

The 37-year-old Humpy finished the tournament with 8.5 out of 11 points.

“I’m very excited and I feel very happy. In fact, I expected it to be a very tough day, like some sort of tie-break. But when I finished the game, I only got to know when the arbitrator told me, and it was a tense moment for me,” said Humpy, who began with black pieces, after her victory.

“So, this is quite unexpected because the whole year I have been struggling a lot and I had very bad tournaments where I just ended up in last place. So, this came as a surprise,” she added.

Humpy’s achievement capped a sensational year for Indian chess after D Gukesh defeated China’s Ding Liren to emerge champion in the classical format World Championship recently in Singapore. In September, India had won its first-ever gold medals in Open and Women's categories in the Chess Olympiad in Budapest.

The seasoned Humpy admitted that she was not thinking about the title after her first-round defeat here.

“I think, after the first round loss, I was nowhere thinking about the title, but things turned out well, especially yesterday winning the four games in a row helped me,” she said.

However, Humpy faced some challenges off the board too as well because of the big time-gap between India and the USA.

“Yeah, off the board, it was very difficult for me because of the time difference. I was lacking sleep. Literally, I haven't slept properly since coming here. So, it wasn't easy to play restlessly, but I'm happy that I managed to do it,” she added.

Humpy has always excelled in the Rapid worlds as she had won a bronze medal in the 2012 edition of the event held in Moscow, while finished with a silver last year at Samarkand, Uzbekistan.

Humpy said her victory will now prompt other Indians to take up chess.

“I think it's high time for India. We also have Gukesh as world champion and now I got the second world title in the rapid event. So, I think this will motivate a lot of youngsters to take up chess professionally,” she concluded.

Murzin wins men’s title

Later, the 18-year-old Volodar Murzin of Russia bagged the corresponding title in the men's section.

Murzin is the the second-youngest FIDE World Rapid Champion, after Nodirbek Abdusattorov, who claimed the title at 17.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mysuru (Karnataka) (PTI): Safari operations, suspended after the human-tiger conflict, will resume with conditions from February 21, following Minister Eshwar Khandre’s directive on Friday to strictly enforce guidelines.

The state forest minister reviewed the situation with officials from Mysuru, Kodagu and Chamarajanagar, and said an order would be issued to restart safaris from Saturday.

Khandre warned that any violation of the conditions would make officials accountable.

“Only 50 per cent of the safari vehicles and staff in use prior to November 7 should be deployed. Operations should be conducted mainly through buses, with minimal use of campers and jeeps. Detailed instructions will be issued,” he said.

Khandre directed officials to identify human–wildlife conflict-prone areas in Bandipur and Nagarahole and intensify patrolling.

“Precautionary measures must ensure wild animals do not enter residential areas, preventing loss of life and crop damage,” he said.

Following the death of a farmer in a tiger attack in Mysuru district, safari operations in Nagarahole and Bandipur tiger reserves were suspended on November 7, 2025.

According to the minister’s office, a 100-km stretch along the Bandipur boundary has been identified as highly sensitive, with 25 camps to be set up at five-km intervals.

“Local residents will be appointed as ‘forest friends’ at each camp to monitor wildlife movement. Proposals for facilities such as thermal drones and vehicles must be submitted in writing,” he said.

He said protecting people living on forest fringes is as important as wildlife conservation, with equal emphasis on crop protection.

“Thirty-five per cent of safari revenue should be used for skill training for youth in fringe villages, cattle fodder supply and children’s education,” he said.

Khandre stressed that conservation depends on local community support and directed staff to maintain cordial relations with residents and involve them in conservation efforts.

“Permanent staff must use the internally developed e-patrolling software, while outsourced staff in tiger reserves should use the e-stripe system,” he said.

Wildlife movement should be monitored at the integrated command centre, with prompt instructions issued to field staff. Complaints received on helpline 1926 must be addressed immediately, he added.

The minister also directed measures to prevent forest fires in Nagarahole, Bandipur and Biligiri Ranganatha Hills during summer.

“Steps must ensure tigers, leopards, elephants and other wildlife do not stray out of forests due to shortages of food and water,” he said.