Ranchi: With speculation growing around a possible Test comeback, Virat Kohli put an end to the rumours after scoring a match-winning century against South Africa in the first ODI on Sunday.
Kohli, who struck 135 off 120 balls in India’s 17-run win, was asked by Harsha Bhogle during the post-match presentation whether he plans to remain a one-format player or reconsider his retirement from Tests. Bhogle slipped in the question while talking about Kohli now playing only one form of the game.
Kohli responded firmly, saying, “That's how it's always going to be – I'm just playing one form of the game,” making it clear there would be no return to red-ball cricket.
The 37-year-old, who was named Player of the Match, spoke at length about his batting and training approach.
“Today was really nice to kind of get into the game like that. Pitch played decently in the first 20-25 overs before it started to slow down. Was just about staying the space of enjoyment. Of course when you get a start, you get into the situation, you know what needs to be done. The experience kicks on,” he said.
Kohli added that his preparation is now mostly mental.
“I've never been a believer of preparation. All my preparation is mental. As long as my physical levels are up and the mental sharpness is there, then you know it's fine. I took a day off before the game. I'm 37 and need time for recovery.”
He said that even at this stage of his career, he trusts his instincts.
“If you've played 300-odd games and so much cricket, you know when you're hitting balls in practice, you know the reflexes are there and the physical ability is there to bat long. As long as you're hitting the ball well and playing good cricket, it's about physically fit, mentally ready and excited.”
Kohli’s century set up India’s win in the opening match of the three-game ODI series, giving the hosts a 1-0 lead.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
